Ultimaker 3 Printhead Broken?

Quiche252

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Printhead Broken?

I am getting a few UM3's back up and running after a year hiatus. I have gotten all but 1 back up. 

Print core does not go up/down enough. I found that the stationary plastic bit that the switch rides on top of inside the printhead had broken off.

Is there a way to fix this issue without replacing the whole printhead? 

IMG_6727 is from a working unit and IMG_6728 is from the one that does not work.

IMG_6728.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Printhead Broken?

THIS REPLY ASSUMES YOU ARE IN USA

You can buy just those parts:

https://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-3-spare-parts/products/lifting-switch-pack-um3-um3x

It says they are sold out but possibly not.  I'd email sales@fbrc8.com and ask.  fbrc8 built your UM3.  They assemble all the UM2/UM3/S3/S5 (and I assume UM2+c) printers sold in USA.  So they have parts.  LOTS of parts.  If they truly don't have it you can contact many of the UM resellers in USA.  Just google Ultimaker 2 printer or something similar and the longer established companies should hopefully pop up and email each of them.  Just the top 5 or 10 resellers.

If I am mistaken and you don't need the "switch pack", still contact fbrc8.  Sometimes they will sell only the part that broke.  Also if you get *only* plastic parts from fbrc8, the prices are often amazingly low.  These are all made in quantities of something like 10,000 at a time in Asia and are super cheap in reality.  So even if you get the whole head (plastic only) I think it's super reasonable.