Filament change does not work with my ultimaker s5 pro printer.

Cognitif

Posted · Filament change does not work with my ultimaker s5 pro printer.

Hello,
I want to change filament during printing.
I used the "Filament Change" script.
The printer stops as expected, but the unloading of the filament did not take place.
I've tried unloading the filament manually on the S5's LCD, but it's impossible.
I suspect that it is the "Material station" which is not foreseen in the script "Filament Change"
I thank you in advance for your help.
I wish you beautiful impressions 🙂

Without the MS it's easy.  Just lift the lever, slide out the current filament, slide in the new filament.

I don't have a Material Station so I don't know if this is supported.  I guess 2 filaments (left and right core) are not enough?

I agree with your answer. When you don't have station equipment, it's easy to change filament.

With MS, when you have a problem with the filament, for example a filament breaking in a bowden tube, you have to remove the filament manually.
    To remove the broken filament, you have to turn off the printer (the MS too), lift the lever and manually pull the filament.
    You cannot remove the broken filament with an MS on. The MS motors do not allow manual removal.

For my filament change problem:
    The script has successfully stopped the printer at the correct layer. On the other hand, when I want to remove the filament, the buttons on the LCD screen are grayed out.
    I did 2 tests: the first is the use of the "Filament Change" script with the Firmare checkbox checked.
    The second without checked firmware and with 2600 mm of retraction (MS->extruder filament length)

Nothing running. No withdrawal made by the MS

What I imagine to solve the problem (2 possible solutions): Make available the roll unload buttons on the LCD screen of the S5 when the printer is paused.
    Or modify the "Filament Change" script to handle the MS.

Can anyone help me? another solution that works?

In the top right corner of this page there are 9 dots in a grid.  Click that, select support, then in that same top row click "Submit a request" and put your request in there.  This is the best way to get a change made to the firmware.  All requests are looked at.  All of them.

Unfortunately the firmware team seems to be behind their task list worse than any other engineering group at Ultimaker *and* I think there have been some layoffs in engineering in the past few weeks.  But this is a very valid, important feature to have (ability to change filament on a given layer in the print).  Just as important as "pause at layer" so you can insert an embedded nut or other hardware into the middle of your print.

If you needed a change to the Cura code it would be easier but this is a firmware issue.

If it were me, I would remove all the filaments, power down, disconnect the MS completely and operate the printer without the MS long enough to complete your needed prints.