aligning models

danlane3d

Posted · aligning models

Hi, I'm having trouble getting my 3D models in to Cura and aligned correctly. I've split my model into two stl's so I can print them on the same layer but in two colours (it's like a yin and yang type design).

In 3dsmax my models are aligned perfectly with the pivot points at [0,0,0] , but when I import them into cura they are offset and even if I zero out the positions (in cura) they don't align. it's like the centre point is getting recalculated as Cura imports it.

How do I get my models to line up? I'm using Cura 5.1.0

I hope that made sense and thanks for reading.

Cheers

Dan

Posted · aligning models

Right click on a model and choose "Select all Models" then right click on any selected model and choose "Merge Models".  Depending on how they were arranged when they were exported they may jump into position.  That's the plan anyway.

When Cura brings a model in it is centered in a Bounding Box.  The midpoint of that box is the location of the local X0, Y0 of the model.  The Z0 is the lowest point of the bounding box.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
    Posted · aligning models

On 8/5/2022 at 2:54 PM, GregValiant said:

Right click on a model and choose "Select all Models" then right click on any selected model and choose "Merge Models".  Depending on how they were arranged when they were exported they may jump into position.  That's the plan anyway.

When Cura brings a model in it is centered in a Bounding Box.  The midpoint of that box is the location of the local X0, Y0 of the model.  The Z0 is the lowest point of the bounding box.

When I merge the different stl's, they scatter. Not much of a merge. So are you saying the bounding box is cause the individual stl's to align with the bounding box? How is that a merge?

I don't even know if merge will give me what I want. I want a texture on a pipe. I have done this and have printed without merge but I would like to make the multiple stls one model so I don't have to spend hours lining up individual texture stl's so the walls and skins efficiently line up when sliced.
      So, does merge make it one model that has one skin and smooth walls and such?

Posted · aligning models

STL's don't have any location information in the file.  Some 3mf files do.  The models have to know where they belong in space.  If that information isn't in the file then merging doesn't work.

Cura isn't an assembly modeler.  You can fool it, but this is one of those things where there is no "Easy" button.  If you bring your models into a CAD program, or MS 3D Builder, you can usually locate them in the orientation you want fairly easily.  Then make a plate just smaller than your printer build plate and extending downward below Z=0 by 1mm.  Attach a copy to each of your models when you save or export them.  When you bring them into Cura set the location of each model to X0 Y0 Z-1.  The plate will dictate the "bounding box" and so each model will be in the correct orientation to each other.  It's a workaround, but isn't terribly difficult and you should get what you want regardless of the lack of location information in the files.

Posted · aligning models

Thanks for your reply. I tried MS 3D builder with no success. My models didn't stay stuck together in Cura. I think I am getting Blender to work. 
    I got Blender to make a smooth slice just by selecting two models and exporting them stl. But, when I tried to ad a third it won't open is