Prime blob in front of camera

Molgineer

Posted · Prime blob in front of camera

I love Ultimaker and its build-in remote features.

As I work from home, I can start prints and monitor them remotely. Awesome!

I also like the prime blob. Its a quick and easily removable way of priming the nozzles.

My only peeve is that the prime blob for the right extruder is squirted out directly in front of the camera..

When I want to see how the print is going (especially the first layers), the view is largely blocked by a blob of plastic.

Can you please find a better place for the blob?

Thanks!

Chris

It is not the best place you are right, but the angle of the camera is also not the best to view the first few layers.

I use an additional webcam which is mounted above the printer, to see the print bed from the top which helps a lot to check the first layers.

Hi! 🙂
    Here are two things you can try:

The easiest and my favorite is placing an IKEA mirror inside of your printer. It's ideal when you are working from home or need to watch multiple printers. If you pause the printjob it allows you to see the full printjob even if you have just a few layers. You can also see the complete printjob when it is finished.
    Slide1.thumb.PNG.4fb8c0118845058e24414bf18e64986e.PNG

A harder one is changing the Y position of the primeblob. You will have to go an hunt for the G280 in your ufp. These indicate the primblobs. In the line above it you will see a G0 and movements to a X Y Z coordinate, for example: G0 F9000 X311 Y6 Z2. If you change the Y from 6 to 30 it will move the primeblob a little to the back as in the most bottom screenshot. 

Here are instructions how to change the gcode in your .ufp file. 

Slide2.thumb.PNG.eb89f6a98aca6d18d3a4df6db507c846.PNG

You can load the finished .ufp in a digital library project and sent it from there to your printer. You can also load it on a USB or back into Cura to sent it to your printer. 

Honestly, a mirror seems to be your best option 🙂

Good luck! 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Oh yes the mirror solution, I forgot - great workaround! 👍

@Molgineer No, that's just a webcam, which is not integrated into the DF. Depending on which model/brand you buy you have different possibilities to access it from home. But check the mirror solution, I like such things 🙂