How to manually change the "safe printing area"?

neeboy74

Posted · How to manually change the "safe printing area"?

Hello to all:

I am using Cura 5.0 with an Ender 3 V2 profile I got somewhere online.  Please see the attached pic:  How can I modify the "safe area" that Cura refuses to slice in?  I totally get it, the software has this safeguard to avoid collisions when printing sequentially...but it's WAY too conservative, I could easily fit more parts on the build-plate if I could just get around the "safe-area" restrictions.  I have printed this file several times and measured my printer's head, and YES i can CAN fit more on.  Thanks in advance for any help!

get rid of safe area in Cura 5.0.JPG

Do you have "print sequence" set to "one at a time"?   I don't get those lighter gray zones unless I go for "one at a time" mode.  If you are in that mode then you need to edit the settings in machine settings.  In PREPARE view (as you show above) in the upper left corner click on your printer drop down.  Then click "manage printers" button then "machine settings" button.  In there are some distances in there (first tab, right side, "printhead settings").  If you set those to zero I think those gray areas will shrink.

Note that your parts are not very tall but if they were say just as tall as they are the other dimensions then setting the print head distances to smaller values will be a problem.  Or you can just print in "all at once" mode and not worry about any of this.

OH!!!!!  It's okay for the gray areas to overlap.  You just can't have a light gray area touch a dark gray area.  So you can get those parts much closer together.

LOL...OK i kinda figured out WHY the restriction was there.  I made some taller parts...and the gantry SMACKED right into one while trying to transition from a finished part to the start of the next one.  D'OH!  

• Like 1

lol.  I think you can place the first object farthest from the homing corner and then the next object closer and closer to home position on a diagonal line and the gantry won't hit the earlier parts - even if it homes between parts (I don't think it does home).  But the point is put the parts diagonally across the print bed so the gantry doesn't hit the previous.

I think Cura possibly even knows this and will let you print well spaced diagonal objects even if taller than your gantry?  Maybe not.