Ultimaker Metal Expansion Kit - Solving a 3D Printing Jigsaw Puzzle

SteveCox3D

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Metal Expansion Kit - Solving a 3D Printing Jigsaw Puzzle

For those interested in the way that you can now produce stainless steel parts using an S-Line printer I've produced a guide to what's in the newly launched Metal Expansion Kit.

It's there to explain how all of the parts fit together into the overall Metal FFF workflow, and includes not just my experience of 3D printing with the BASF Ultrafuse metal filaments but also includes some additional insights gained from some of the first people who have bought the kit : 

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/steve-cox-b575b29b_ultimaker-metalfff-3dprinting-activ[…]474565582848-Ik5g?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

MEK Jigsaw.jpg

Edited by SteveCox3D
  • Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker Metal Expansion Kit - Solving a 3D Printing Jigsaw Puzzle

Hello, I have a question.
The recommended maximum part size is 100x100mm XY. If I print a more complex geometry and use a raft what is the maximum part size including the raft? Thank you Milan  

On 9/2/2022 at 2:22 PM, horamil said:

Hello, I have a question.
    The recommended maximum part size is 100x100mm XY. If I print a more complex geometry and use a raft what is the maximum part size including the raft? Thank you Milan  

Hi Milan, the size of the parts is a recommendation and is very much driven by the equipment used for the debind and sintering.  The part has to fit into a tray during that process so the size will need to include the raft. I am in the UK and I know that the standard tray size used by the debind and sinter partner in this country is 200 mm x 300mm x 25mm, so anything with a footprint that fits inside that 200 x 300mm dimension can be processed.

It very much depends on the post processing partner for each country, but to be safe I would say that the 100mm dimension recommended will need to include the raft.

• 2 weeks later...

Hola. Compré un kit de metal ultimaker y tengo un problema con la laminación. Al revisar la rebanadora resulta que el grosor de la capa inferior consta de 8 alturas pero siempre imprime la capa de relleno, tengo el cura y el ultimaker actualizado. ¿Puede darme una idea de lo que podría estar mal conmigo?

fallo.png

@Nacho2707 Es wäre nett wenn du in Englisch schreiben würdest, dann könnte man auch verstehen um was es in deinem Posting geht. Wenn alles so wie ich jetzt in ihrer eigenen Sprache schreiben, wird das schnell unübersichtlich. Danke!

On 9/17/2022 at 10:45 PM, Nacho2707 said:

Hola. Compré un kit de metal ultimaker y tengo un problema con la laminación. Al revisar la rebanadora resulta que el grosor de la capa inferior consta de 8 alturas pero siempre imprime la capa de relleno, tengo el cura y el ultimaker actualizado. ¿Puede darme una idea de lo que podría estar mal conmigo?

fallo.png

@Nacho2707 I don't speak Spanish but I have tried to translate and understand your question.

Do you have the latest material profiles installed for the 17-4PH material installed.  The default setting for Top & Bottom layers is 0 rather than the 8 that is showing in that image.  The reason for that setting is that the Infill is set at 105% so there is no need for a Top or Bottom layer 

Via Google Translate :  "Tiene instalados los últimos perfiles de material para el material 17-4PH instalado? La configuración predeterminada para las capas Superior e Inferior es 0 en lugar del 8 que se muestra en esa imagen. El motivo de esa configuración es que el Relleno está configurado al 105 %, por lo que no es necesaria una capa Superior o Inferior"

Está arreglado. Mi problema es que cambié el acolchado y lo puse al 60%. Entonces me di cuenta de que hay un perfil de luz donde si funcionan para mí.
    Gracias

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Metal Expansion Kit - Solving a 3D Printing Jigsaw Puzzle

Edited  by SteveCox3D

Font change

Eso es bueno, me alegro de que haya encontrado el problema

Edited by SteveCox3D