Cura Greys out shapw when trying to add supports

bobster316

Posted · Cura Greys out shapw when trying to add supports

I am relatively new to using cura and need some help for this issue.

I am trying to slice a part which requirees support. If i generate regular

support, there is too much support, 

I tried a custom support plugin from the marketplace but everytime I add 

custom support the object hets greyed out and i cannot tell where to adjust 

the support I am trying to add,

Attached is the ender 3 v2 psu cover which I am trying to slice (the below example

is for regular support being added everywhere,

shape 6.PNG

shape 7.PNG

Posted (edited) · Cura Greys out shapw when trying to add supports

If you make the fan box a separate detail that would print a lot easier and faster.

I put matching 2.0mm holes into each piece as locating holes.  At assembly, I glue in pieces of filament into one part and they become the locating pins.  Then I edge glue one part and set it into the other.  The parts positively locate and Cyano-Acrylic glue works really well with both PLA and PETG.

A plus is that you wouldn't need anywhere near as much material if that was two pieces.

This model could print vertically as a single model but in this case I wanted the layer lines to run up and down rather than be concentric.  Vertically would also require support for the exterior bottom which would make it ugly.

You can see the 4 locating holes (2 would be sufficient) in the red part.  It still requires support for the half-round inner feature and so the print time is a bit longer for 2 halves than it was for the single model.  BTW I have a 1.8mm drill I use as a reamer to insure the filament fits..

Untitled.thumb.png.65ee10330b3724aef9a4f63366afdb0c.png

This is vertical as opposed to horizontal.  In this case it does take longer to print 2 but I'm OK with that.

image.thumb.png.a1433dedeff829465514c63d186ffac4.png

Edited by GregValiant