Ultimaker and MakerBot Announce Closing of Merger

MariMakes

Posted · Ultimaker and MakerBot Announce Closing of Merger

The merger between Ultimaker and Makerbot is complete! 

Fch9ZriXkAED2gM.thumb.jpeg.99fbf0055854a4fc090c27ce4ebfb1e1.jpeg

Our new brand, UltiMaker, aims to provide easy-to-use and accessible 3D printing hardware, software, and materials for any application, driving the industry to a future state of manufacturing.

That means we'll start rolling out some fairly small changes on the UltiMaker community. 
Mainly by adding new categories to leave feedback on, like a Thingiverse category! 

What are your thoughts on the name? 
What kind of changes do you think we can implement to fit the new brand? 

• Like 2

I worked in the Department of Redundancy Department for years and years and I was hoping against hope for Maker-Maker.  

I have a few suggestions for the features of the first official UltiMaker printer.  

1. Produce 3d Prints with a finish like 12 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer.
  2. Provide an accuracy of +/- 1 nanometer.
  3. Come with slicing software that knows exactly what the user wants and never forgets to move the Z seam.
  4. Have a Single Button interface to Slice and Print.  You could call it the "UltiButton" (if you give me money for coming up with the name).
  5. Provide a printing speed of 1,000,000 mm/sec.
  6. Print any material from chocolate to tungsten carbide.
  7. It should be powered by an on-board Flux Capacitor that runs on leftover filament rolls.
  8. It should be either absolutely silent, or sound like a Ferrari V12.  Either one works for me.
  9. Have a price tag of $19.95 and a 100 year warranty.
  10. Remember birthdays and anniversaries and automatically print an appropriate gift.

Please let me know when I can put my order in.  I've just printed a new credit card and I want to try it out.

• Like 9
  • Heart 1

Are there any plans for what types of printers we can expect? Will they all be high end and pricey, or will there be cheaper models as well? 

Is this merge going to affect the number of new printer models released, as in new printer models released more frequently?

Will new printers come in black or white? Or will there be Black Edition and White Edition to chose from on each printer? I get that it would complicate things a bit, but I for one would really appreciate the ability to chose the color of my printer even if it's only a matter of 2 options.

And most importantly, will there be a new mascot to replace the UltiBot?