calculation of overhangs without supports

GunGrave12

Posted (edited) · calculation of overhangs without supports

Hello. I do not know English well, so I translate through Google translator.

You can take the video

as a basis. It shows that a conventional printer can print overhangs at 90 degrees without support. In the picture 1 is the figure that we print. Picture 2 shows how the layers really go down without supports.

I am not a programmer, so I don’t know if it’s possible to add a mode from picture 3. The principle of operation is that layers of red color are printed to a height of 1.5mm from the beginning of the overhang. Further, the printer simultaneously lays blue layers with 3 axes at an angle to the surface of the red layers. The angle from the vertical is not less than 45 degrees. Perhaps a larger angle will reduce the possibility of sagging layers. after the completion of the blue layers, the usual printing of the green layers follows. Picture 4 shows a larger angle of inclination. The print speed is reduced and cooling may be turned on at 100%.

Height no more than 1.5 mm? the most common e3d nozzles have a protruding end height of 2 mm and an angle from the vertical of 35-40 degrees, so the angle of the upper layers is at least 45 degrees, possibly more.

image.thumb.png.418104ade33527f09394decd85dfcae6.png

Is it possible to add such a feature in a future slicer update?

Edited by GunGrave12

Posted · calculation of overhangs without supports
    2 hours ago, GregValiant said:

It appears that a company has patented the "non-planar" slicing/printing idea.  They could do it but they haven't.

For anyone else there are probably lawyers waiting in the bushes.

they give the code for creating such a cut for free on github. And I'm not suggesting to completely copy their functions. My idea for oblique printing is only in places of overhangs. The main volume of the part is printed according to the usual flat slicing.

• 1 year later...
    Posted · calculation of overhangs without supports

Hello,

There is free idea how to make overhangs without supports:

But Cura could improve idea by making this method not arc, but offset of part until overhang is finished...

For now Cura slicer starts overhangs to print in the air from the most far end :D