Vase mode seam and artefacts

frink

Posted (edited) · Vase mode seam and artefacts

I exported the model as an STL and uploaded to https://formware.co/OnlineStlRepair.  Here is the report on your model.

--> 0 Naked edges (?)
--> 0 Planar holes (?)
--> 0 Non-planar holes (?)
--> 269 Non-manifold edges (?)
--> 383 Inverted faces (?)
--> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
--> 9 Duplicate faces (?)
--> 0 Disjoint shells (?)
-> Repairing: 100.00%
----- Repair completed in 48804ms ------
-> Vertex count changed from 185215 to 185571 (+356)
-> Triangle count changed from 370980 to 371138 (+158)

When a model is non-manifold you should get the warning that "the model may not print correctly."  Cura may have made mistakes in the slice because of the errors in the model.

You have "Remove all Holes" enabled.  Is that because you don't need the holes in the bottom plate?

Your settings look reasonable.  I'd print it at 35 but that is my personal preference for PETG.  I just think it looks better when printed slower.  The upper part probably doesn't matter as it will bump up against "Minimum Layer Time" either way.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Vase mode seam and artefacts

Im not using remove all holes.

I just added original stl of top part to that site and got this:

-> In queue. Waiting before you in the queue: 0 (refreshing each second)
    -> Reading file and indexing vertices
    -> Analysed your file:
    --> 0 Naked edges (?)
    --> 0 Planar holes (?)
    --> 0 Non-planar holes (?)
    --> 0 Non-manifold edges (?)
    --> 0 Inverted faces (?)
    --> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
    --> 0 Duplicate faces (?)
    --> 0 Disjoint shells (?)
    -> Repairing: 100.00%
    ----- Repair completed in 40657ms ------
    -> Vertex count changed from 175500 to 175590 (+90)
    -> Triangle count changed from 350996 to 351176 (+180)

Then i printing others models im using smooth spiralise and i think because of that i cant see any seam, but in this model i cant use smooth, so how can i avoid seam problem (adding foto) 

image.png

I used the "repaired" model in this project file.  The bottom and top portions were "unioned" so it is a single model.  It is at my preferred speed of 35 but as I say, once it gets above the base it will move at 1 layer/10seconds unless the minimum layer time is changed.

GV_BangiukasBottom.3mf

Those artifacts look like what I call an XY seam.  They can happen when "Spiralize" doesn't really work on a model for whatever reason.

When a model is successfully spiralized the "spiral" portion of the gcode will look like this with the Z constantly moving up.  (This is from the gcode file of the above project file).

G1 F2100 X112.667 Y162.741 E2709.01761 ;Last extrusion line of of the non-spiral base
    G1 X90.701 Y152.887 Z2.216 E2710.67544
    G1 X90.248 Y152.693 Z2.217 E2710.70938
    G1 X88.811 Y152.04 Z2.218 E2710.81807
    G1 X88.359 Y151.845 E2710.85197 ;the Z doesn't move up on every line.
    G1 X86.922 Y151.192 Z2.219 E2710.96066

Edited by GregValiant

I tried you 3mf file to print, but still i have XY seam on same spots. 

How to make perfect spiral mode with cura, or it is problem when making model? 

I printed this myself with some leftover PLA at 0.8 line width and didn't get any issues.  Your model itself is fine.

If you turn off the "Shell" line type in the Preview and turn on "Travels" then if it was spiralized correctly there should not be any travels above the solid bottom portion.

This is my slice of that project file I created.  You can see the travel lines within the base, and that there are none above the base.  This indicates a single long extrusion up to the top.

image.thumb.png.b7934d9feef7e8212a363b7c48d661c4.png

This leaves me wondering if:  Your extruder is working correctly, the E-step calibration is correct, the condition of your filament, and whether you may have developed a partial clog just above the nozzle.  So I went back to the images you posted of a print.

In your first image you point out a hole in the side.  No matter how it sliced that should not be there and I'm sure it isn't in the gcode.

Looking at another image I see a spot with more holes (in red) and something wrong with the extrusion (possibly under-extrusion) that I've marked in green. 

GV_2.thumb.jpg.bd278763e21c85d4df7cfa2828bd6db6.jpg

There should be no holes and no ripples.

When printing with PETG it can collect around the nozzle and form a blob that will occasionally come loose and get stuck to the print.  This is a known issue and it's why people invest in nozzle cleaning stations.  It's something else that could be going on, but a hole?  Nope. Something else is happening there and it has nothing to do with the slice.  It may have something to do with the printer calibration and that includes the mechanical aspect.

This is at 75% scale with scrap "natural PLA" at 0.8 line width.  My previous print was with red PLA and I missed this.

Light refraction makes this a tough shot.

DSCN3018.thumb.JPG.21d1105858713b298f353d8f14565f99.JPG

Loading the Gcode into AutoCad results in this view of the area with the bulges.  Those jig-jogs are a maximum of 0.1478mm.

Wiggles.thumb.png.307c46e0fb47656b602e40ce845a09e3.png

I missed this on previous print as it isn't really visible when using an opaque filament.

I think I'll post this as a bug report on Github.

Alright.  A contributor on Github (SmartAvionics) suggested changing the Mesh Tools "Maximum Deviation" from the default 0.025 to 0.100.  That will filter out some of those very short line segments.

I have a print running now and it looks very good.

And it finished very nicely.  I don't see any flaws.  

Can you upload result foto where no z seam? because i tried your settings and change deviation, still getting z seam.

Other artefacts gone after i changed to another filament but z seam still exist

i dont know why but i having this at cura (adding foto) this is 186 layer and it should be straight but it is curvy

image.png.7d575d4e996abc73eb0820c573d062ed.png

Edited by frink

Hi @frink

Here are a couple of shots of my print.  I don't know how much it would effect things but I scaled it to 75% size to make it quicker.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7c611a224b3397ba2d431570342e1ba.jpeg

DSCN3020.thumb.JPG.e46fbea341efdbd21713e2cfd6cba880.JPG

Here is a shot of the model in 3D Builder.  I'm wondering how the mesh density "striping" is contributing to those wiggly lines (which I also saw in my AutoCad representation).

I tried to get this centered.  The triangle density is high at the top and bottom of the image, and at distinct intervals it transitions to lower density.

image.thumb.png.923c05c4c04238a101ba334e4fccf657.png

Here is a model I simplified in 3D Builder.  See if it makes a difference.  I'm going to read it into AutoCad and see if those wigglies are still there.

Simple 1 BangiukasBottom.stl

EDIT:  I don't like that one at all.

Edited by GregValiant

I added your stl to cura but still having that curvy:

image.thumb.png.2e4a88907adb58bad7797346d26ffcee.png