Using Adaptive Layers to speed up printing

MelPo

Posted · Using Adaptive Layers to speed up printing

Hi,

as I understand it, the objective of using adaptive layers is to speed up the printing process, so in the areas where the geometry does not change much the maximum layer thickness is used and where the geometry changes, thinner layers are used to capture the details.

I am using Cura 5.1. When I turn on using of adaptive layers, it actually increases the printing time considerably, because it is using the parameter Adaptive Layers Maximum Variation to increase and decrease the layer defined by the base layer height. So, the change is symmetrical. However, it would be nice if there was one more parameter "Adaptive Layer Minimum Thickness" to control the minimum thickness and thus to limit the printing time.

Now, I have to redefine base layer thickness and Adaptive Layers Maximum Variation if it takes too much time using adaptive layers. Or did I miss something?

Best regards,

M.

The objective of adaptive layers is not to speed up the printing process, it is to use the "correct" resolution where it can. Depending on how you set it up, it can lead to more layers being printed, as it's constantly on the minimum layer that it will go.

I don't really see how having a minimum layer height would change anything. It would be the same as changing the starting layer height and having a different variation.

• Like 1

Adaptive Layers ON.

image.thumb.png.c599e0671e17cfe510b5f115d0690365.png

Adaptive Layers OFF.

image.thumb.png.eabbab7bec99a9d7fd2d9a6ad47a371a.png

You an see that the "steps" on the roof are closer together with Adaptive Layers enabled.  That's the improved resolution that Nallath mentioned.

That also means more layers (355 vs 201 with the settings I used) and that directly affects the print time.  Using Adaptive Layer Height will generally be slower unless you are slicing something with a regular shape (like a cube) where it will stay at the Max layer height and so there will be less layers to print.