Cura always opens off screen

voder

Posted · Cura always opens off screen

I am running Cura on a two-monitor system under Windows 10. The monitors both run at 3840 x 2160 resolution. Cura consistently opens off screen to the left of the left-most monitor, with the right edge of the Cura window just showing (too narrow to grab with the mouse). I use the ALT-spacebar keystroke to open the Window menu and manually move the window into view using the arrow keys. However carefully I then position the window, and however normally I exit the program, the next time I open Cura, the same thing happens. Any remedy?

Good suggestion, @MariMakes, but regrettably it makes no difference.

Incidentally, when I run Creality Slicer, a Cura clone, the window opens normally within the screen boundaries.

Hey @voder,

In Cura 5.0 we updated to a new version of the QT library, responsible for the buttons and the window, so we could support the latest version of Mac. We still haven't resolved all of the bugs that this upgrade introduced. 

The Creality slicer is based on Cura 4.8 which still has the old QT library. 

I'm a bit at a loss at how to help you next. Maybe someone from the community can help you out 🤞

Well, @MariMakes, I have found a slightly less cumbersome method to open Cura. Although the window opens too far off screen to grab the title bar and drag it to a central location on screen, it turns out I can extend the right edge of the window with the mouse to the right, thereby exposing enough of the title bar to drag the window. Still not ideal, but at least I don't have to use the Alt-spacebar Window menu technique.  

Hey there, I may have a fun tidbit for you to try: How to re-home an application to always open on a specific monitor. 

(Btw, you can right-click on your task bar (in an empty space) and "Cascade Windows" to bring all open windowed apps front and center)

- Get to the point you're able to grab Cura as a floating/not full screen window.

- Move it to the monitor you'd like to "home" it to.

- Maximize it.

- Exit the program.

- Re-open and confirm it's been rehomed. 

It'll stay on that monitor until you do that same process again. You can still re-float the window, and close it without rehoming it on accident. Doing this though will change it from opening as a maximized app to a floating window app. 

I used to have this issue as well on windows 10, and this fixed it for myself.

Personally I'm still getting the issue but only with prompt from Cura, like saving over an existing file. 

Anyways I hope the above helps you out. 

1 year later.. it is the same.

For what it's worth, you can select a window on the taskbar and then press Win+Left arrow/Right arrow - it'll make it snap to sides of a screen first but if it's snapped to the right side of a screen then pressing Win+Right again will move it to the next screen. Also, Win+Up arrow maximises a window, if that helps.