Custom Support inside model

webdevbrian
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Custom Support inside model

Hi there -- I was hoping that cura supported this out of the box with the custom support additon. As you can see, cura renders custom supports in my hollow model, however and very unfortunately, it does not actually add them inside, it only adds the supports on the outside of my model.

This really should be added...

image.thumb.png.d0cb82e8a7f2c6e2d4d8008f3f1b5619.png

Sliced:

image.thumb.png.c4d1dc934fbfa063ddcaf1433ed33feb.png

If you have "Support Placement" set to "Everywhere" then check settings like "Minimum Support Area" and "Support XY Distance".

There are a lot of support settings (73) and some can change whether or not supports are applied to certain areas.

If you use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here some one will take a look.

4 hours ago, GregValiant said:

If you have "Support Placement" set to "Everywhere" then check settings like "Minimum Support Area" and "Support XY Distance".

There are a lot of support settings (73) and some can change whether or not supports are applied to certain areas.

If you use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here some one will take a look.

Hey Greg! Thank you for the help! I've enabled those and am seeing different support structures rendered, however not inside the model where my custom supports (previous screenshot) are intended to be rendered. Check my screenshots for some help and clarification.

Settings:
    image.thumb.png.9282a190c7d4056799915439c91a53f8.png

Model with these settings:

image.thumb.png.dea6a12847bc28075d34aba3e85a705d.png

Mind my reluctance to post my 3mf, as I'm sure it will very quickly rectify my issue -- I paid for this model, however 🙂 My wife appreciates the help! These are the table-top succulent planter holders for our baby shower.

Many thanks!

Posted (edited) · Custom Support inside model

Congrats on the upcoming special occasion.  All I can recall is being a nervous wreck.

In the "Per Model" settings are your custom supports set to "Print as Support"?

An option would be to send me a PM and include a Project File ("File | Save Project").  I'm well past baby showers and to paraphrase - a project file is worth a thousand words.

Edited by GregValiant

Hey @webdevbrian,

I moved your discussed to a new thread.
    Are you still stuck? I think I know what is happening.

I made a project file, so you don't have to share yours. 
    UMS3_CuboneSkull.3mf

If you have a model with support meshes included AND you enable support, it will listen to the red overhang area's and the support settings you changed. 

image.thumb.png.fec1ae41a2e850fd4fd738b84d06349d.png

image.thumb.png.f3b86dfcea141c3fb70f69965e39fd72.png

BUT, if you disable support your meshes will be printed as support structures. 
    So you can either, build your custom supports with meshes with support disabled, or you can enable support and have Cura generate them for you. 

image.thumb.png.676f2dedf27dce312ffe632b7fa2b587.png

Is this indeed the porblem you are facing? 

Hey @MariMakes!

I've attached my 3mf file. I think you'll see what I'm attempting to do - the support that is needed is inside the model due to the infill being 0%. However I got close and this *should* print, it'd be best to know how to add those supports (by the nose and by the eyes) for future prints. The issue Im facing now is since I want the walls to be thicker than what is offered in "spiralize" (and there is no setting for multiple walls or any support for top layers outside last layers of the model) I had to get creative but now I still have the top layers printing which I'm attempting to remove). Maybe there's a setting in cura dug deep somewhere but I'm not sure how to get it to do what I need outside of creating a hollowed out  part by default?

@GregValiant Sorry for the delay -- was painting the walls for the nursery!

SkullPot.3mf

Hey @webdevbrian,

Thanks for sharing your file. 😄
    Happy to hear you have been spending your time painting the nursery. 

I've been trying to open your file but Ultimaker Cura doesn't recognize your i-Fast printer. 
    Are you using Ultimaker Cura or are you using Qidi slicer? 
    That would explain why I can't really place your screenshots 😅

Since the printjob is solid you are not working with tricky support settings but tricky infill settings. 
    image.thumb.png.2143bb18acd0917e78b13be4bbab45f3.png

This is what I would do to print this printjob hollow:

image.thumb.png.04d531b65ed88ebed7183b158c55e4dc.png

This is sliced for an Ultimaker S5 on Cura 5.2.1
    Mari_UMS5_SkullPot.3mf

Hope this helps 😊

• Like 1

@MariMakes Very cool! Any ideas on how to remove the top layers at the top of the skull? That was the tricky part I was mentioning before. If I go ahead and remove the top layers, the areas where the nose is (there are top layers there) get omitted and the nose is then hollow. 

I like @MariMakes better but I thought I'd throw in an option.

I altered the model in MS 3D Builder and subtracted an oblong block from the inside.  (BTW the original model had some errors that needed repair.)

image.thumb.png.792122d7154e520079a0099e38c9574e.png

In this model the back of the nose is walls and then infill.

Yesterday was "Day of the Dead" and we ate at our favorite Mexican restaurant (Mi Pueblo in Venice).  The entertainment was very good and the food (as usual) was excellent.  I took a pass on the face painting.

• Heart 2

This workaround will get a nice print result.
    Don't forget to set Combing mode to None to get no internal stringing. 

1 hour ago, webdevbrian said:

If I go ahead and remove the top layers, the areas where the nose is (there are top layers there) get omitted and the nose is then hollow. 

You can see the holes in the nose and some in the eyes. But if your goal is a fake flowerpot, than it doesn't matter.
    If your goal is to store a liquid or a semi liquid in your container than I highly suggest to use @GregValiant s model. 

Good luck!

Skull.jpeg

1 hour ago, MariMakes said:

This workaround will get a nice print result.
    Don't forget to set Combing mode to None to get no internal stringing. 

You can see the holes in the nose and some in the eyes. But if your goal is a fake flowerpot, than it doesn't matter.
    If your goal is to store a liquid or a semi liquid in your container than I highly suggest to use @GregValiant s model. 

Good luck!

Skull.jpeg

Looks great! Yeah I had printed this with the holes in the nose / eyes and it looks a bit off -- I'm not seeing a model that they posted though?

• Solution

Sorry...senior moment.

GVSkullPot.3mf

2 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

This is fantastic! Thank you!!! Now I Have to get to printing 25 of these for baby shower gifts. Dad is burning some midnight oil with this and the nursery updates!

Good Luck.

16th birthday will show up in a hurry.  Start the Corvette fund now.

• Laugh 2

Oh yeah...another senior moment.

You might not notice in that project file but I've raised the model off the build plate by 1mm.  When an organic shape like that starts with a real small contact patch it can often fail.  Moving it up 1mm allows the print to start on support and the failure rate goes way down.

I just noticed that the Support Top Distance is .4 and that should be changed to .2 (1 layer height).

17 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Oh yeah...another senior moment.

You might not notice in that project file but I've raised the model off the build plate by 1mm.  When an organic shape like that starts with a real small contact patch it can often fail.  Moving it up 1mm allows the print to start on support and the failure rate goes way down.

I just noticed that the Support Top Distance is .4 and that should be changed to .2 (1 layer height).

Ahh ha - thank you. I actually use the "make overhang printable" function in cura - set that sucker at 50 degrees and it makes the base behave quite nicely and also lessens the complexity quite a bit. Wife hasn't noticed it in previous samples so I'm just going to let that ride - If she cared I'm sure she would have told me 🙂 Plus, it's at the bottom of the model, so, makes for a more sturdy base for freestanding. One of my most favorite settings in cura - coming from a primarily flashforge owner in the past but started with cura a bit ago -- it's nice to re-familiarize myself, just need to sift out the cruft and find the settings that I need. For instance in the flash forge world "Spiralize" is "Vase mode". There's quite a few I just need to find out the equivalents for.

This is fantastic though -- I'll export the STL from this file and add a 45 degree spout for drainage - there will be live succulents in these with cactus soil, so that'll be necessary - but this puts me on a great path!

Also - noted on the corvette fund. I had to mow lawns for my first car, but as they always say - just because you had too doesn't mean your kids do -- right? Make 'em live better than you did. Or so I've heard.

Thanks much folks.

• Like 1