Cura starts layer from mid-air

cagatay117
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted (edited) · Cura starts layer from mid-air

Cura starts the wall from mid air. How can I prevent this? The part is some kind of a lid and it needs a layer wider than below layer. If I can make Cura somehow start from the yellow circles, then going outer circles, ending with the outmost circle, it will hold on to previous circles and filament won't pour down or sag. What do you propose, other than using support?

The starting of the layer, from mid air:

image.thumb.jpeg.8d32443d80210f5d12b0df23dfd683c9.jpeg

This layer when finished:

image.thumb.jpeg.92a5e8480ad8857517f043e04bd01fc2.jpeg

Look from side:

image.thumb.jpeg.6cb3506a49cd6bf2c02b61f05a809d9d.jpeg

lid.3mf lid.STL

Edited by cagatay117
included stl & 3mf files.

Posted · Cura starts layer from mid-air

No It was not enabled before but I enabled with normal support structure and sliced again later on. It was a successful print. However, I don't like this solution, I don't want to resort to using support whenever I come across this type of situation. I'd like a better solution without support, support means complication and mostly needs cleaning up a mess.

Maybe I didn't understand you very much, is this what you mean? Why would a team member like to know my slicer setup in spite of the project file being already here? Sorry if I didn't get you well.

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Cura starts layer from mid-air

The information provided by any poster must be as complete and concise as possible.  I saw in your screen shot that support was enabled but the project file said it wasn't.  We've had project files submitted here that were totally different than what the poster was talking about.  Even the model was different.  It's hard to give advice or troubleshoot when we are talking about apples and the poster was talking about oranges.

Support is often required.  I have a special set of tools for support removal and it can still be a PITA.

To eliminate support you sometimes can alter the model.  In this case if it is printed as two separate pieces and glued together then neither piece needs support.  With a little hole in the middle of each half, a piece of filament can be glued into one half and it becomes a locating pin for gluing on the other half.  I used a cylindrical support blocker configured as a cutting mesh and placed them in the center of each model.  One model prints right-side up but buried into the build plate 6mm.  The other model prints upside-down with only 6mm sticking up.  It will print without support and cyano-acrylic Super-Glue works really well on PETG (and PLA).

This is an x-ray view and you can see the 2.2mm diameter x 4mm long Cutting Mesh support blockers that are at the centerline of each half.  As a cutting mesh they will leave a hole.

image.thumb.png.b61500e4ec63d50c282d02426a9ce416.png

Here is the normal view

image.thumb.png.92e0265f404d762afcad00fbc0664b24.png

So there are things you can do to eliminate support but sometimes support is the best way to go.

Here is a project file so you can see what I did.  Sometimes multiple locating pins are required.  Sometimes the model needs to be altered in a program like MS 3D Builder.  Sometimes you get stuck with support.

GV_lid no support.3mf

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Cura starts layer from mid-air
    On 11/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, GregValiant said:

The information provided by any poster must be as complete and concise as possible.  I saw in your screen shot that support was enabled but the project file said it wasn't.  We've had project files submitted here that were totally different than what the poster was talking about.  Even the model was different.  It's hard to give advice or troubleshoot when we are talking about apples and the poster was talking about oranges.

I think there's a misunderstanding, neither in my screenshot nor my project file has support enabled, but this is not a problem of course, I understand you now. I will pay attention to those details you mention in the future. Thank you.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, GregValiant said:

Support is often required.  I have a special set of tools for support removal and it can still be a PITA.

To eliminate support...

I will take your method into consideration whenever I encounter this problem in the future. They are very much helpful, thank you really.