Is it possible to print support inside a "hollow" object ? (Using the minimum infill for supporting overhanging parts )

shiansu
Go to solution Solved by Nosybottle,

Posted · Is it possible to print support inside a "hollow" object ? (Using the minimum infill for supporting overhanging parts )

Hello,

I would like to save a lot of time and material when I print complex molds by printing them hollow, but I usually can't because of the shape.

So I would like to know if it's possible to print support inside a "hollow"(not completly, cause we will need some support inside) object ?

It's not very easy to explain so I prepared an exemple :

I would like to print the object "etat1", juste a cylinder with 2 paraboloid facing each others.

If I try to print it that way, the upper paraboloid will be printed "in the air" and that won't work obviously...(remember infill is set to 0%)

So what I really want to know is how to say to Cura (5.1 by the way) to print just a support beetween the 2 paraboloids inside the object like in the picture "etat2" (where that part is very roughly represented by a red box)

I think the MAKERBOT MINFILL functiun is about what I'm looking for, but I don't own one of their printers...(and Cura is certainly better 😅)

Thank you

etat1.png

etat2.png

Posted · Is it possible to print support inside a "hollow" object ? (Using the minimum infill for supporting overhanging parts )

Being able to use water soluble PVA supports is a primary reason to go to a dual extruder machine.

You have considered a split mold?  You have to get the part out somehow.

• Solution

Have a look at Lightning infill, it might be close to what you want. Alternatively instead of using 0% infill you could hollow out the model and use regular supports. Or create an overlap modifier in Cura and set infill only inside that modifier

image.png.47d24c826e62e347e541c1b91e95c370.pngimage.thumb.png.fb1371f7219c312468e427680b324a48.png

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers.

Nosybottle, I think that might be the solution but it will take me some time to understand and try this settings. I will post later to tell you if that worked.