Any chance that raft settings will see an improvement?

aviphysics

Posted · Any chance that raft settings will see an improvement?

I am hoping that the raft settings might see some improvement. The following features seem like they would be helpful.

1) number of raft base layers

2) Raft print temperature

3) Separate feed rate for raft

4) Separate print temperature for object first layer.

I've never used it. Some people claim it is an excuse for bad leveling but I think it's useful for people who print ABS. It allows the part to shrink slightly without pulling off the bed. It makes for a very ugly bottom on your part.

But now we have brim, heated beds, hair spray, abs glue, and glue stick for this.

I think because it is used by so few people that it gets lower priority.

Hi all,

I only use raft to give a different texture finnish and I am quite happy with the actual raft settings.

WP 000174

The left heart (lid) was made with raft

All this can be made manually on the UM2 and since the changes will be made right after starting the print this is not a big deal

I know it's probably not the answer you wanted to hear but do not think it will be changes in the near future about it

You can try the TweakAtZ plugin to handle with different extruder temps, flow rates, speeds, bed temps at an specified Z height

There is also a similar software made by a "ultimaker brother" but i can't find it. I will search the post and then I will add the link here...

Found it: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4185-tweak-at-layer-number-windows-application/

Many thanks to tonycstech...

Just to clarify my last post,

If you setup manually the temperature (or flow) in your UM2 and then use tonycstech's software to change the temperature at the first layer you should have the desired effect. (different raft temps or flow%)

never tested it, so if I'm wrong someone correct me

I am hoping that the raft settings might see some improvement. The following features seem like they would be helpful.

1) number of raft base layers

In all honesty, raft has a very low priority factor for me. I never use it, and nobody at the office uses it.

So I do not know what is needed, or what needs to change. However, the reedrate can be adjusted by adjusting the line width.

To clarify, I meant the overall feedrate. Not just the filament feedrate.

I was a little interested in trying it to see if I could reduce some warping I am having, and I have seen some videos on-line of people printing rafts that look like they pull off really easily. When I did a search to see how they got it to work, those were the settings that people recommended. TBH manually messing around with temp settings in the g-code to see if I could get similar results isn't something I feel like doing, so I thought I would ask.

If other strategies work, maybe I will just move on to those. I think a good first step will be to get a glass build platform, so I can move away from tape. I feel like part of the problem is the tape itself is pulling up.

Then say speed, don't say feedrate if you mean print speed. (Feel free to say feedrate if you are CNC milling)

The tweak-at-z plugin should help in your temperature needs. And can also tweak speeds.