Please Help! Ender 3 S1 + Cura

Posted · Please Help! Ender 3 S1 + Cura

I adjusted the custom settings on the Cura software and can't tell if my Ender 3 S1 is adhering to them (primarily print speed). I want 20mm/s first layer, 60 mm/s infill, and 40 mm/s walls. When I slice it and move it over to my Ender, it just shows 100% speed the entire time. I'm not sure if that's 100% of the values I set in the program, or 100% relative to a factory setting on the machine. Any ideas?

Posted · Please Help! Ender 3 S1 + Cura

The "FeedRate" as shown on the LCD is a global setting and affects every speed the printer receives.  It's a modifier, not the actual Feed Rate.

If you entered "60" as the print speed and the FeedRate is at 100% on the printer then the printer is printing at 60 (so long as things like Minimum Layer Time aren't involved).

If you were to Tune the feedrate to 50% on the LCD then although the gcode says to print at 60 the printer/processor would drop that to 30mm/sec.

If you were to print a smallish model in Spiralize then the layers go quickly.  In that case the "Minimum Layer Time" comes into play and Cura adjusts the print speed within the gcode to insure that a layer takes 10 seconds (or whatever you have it set to) to complete.  It's a cooling thing.  You might have Print Speed set to 60 but Cura will alter that.  Once again though, if Feed Rate on the printer is 100% then the print will go down at whatever speed is in the gcode.

The only way to actually check the speed is to open a Gcode file in a text editor and search for F numbers.  You have to do a conversion because gcode is in mm/minute and the Cura settings are in mm/second.  Divide the Gcode F numbers by 60 to get mm/sec.

G1 F3600 X123 Y123 E123.45678 is an extrusion at 60mm/sec.