S5 pro bundle - pla does not come out of the nozzle

taliaxu

Posted · S5 pro bundle - pla does not come out of the nozzle

I have the S5 pro bundle, and usually prints with the Ultimaker PLA and the CPE+.

Today I was printing with the PLA, but after a few successful prints nothing came out of the nozzle, I tried printing with another material (CPE+), this time it does come out of the nozzle, but the filament coming out is a bit thinner than usual and tends to curl up.

Is there a link or resource that explains how I could fix this on the S5 pro bundle? Thanks!

This is a complicated topic.  I would try using a different core.  Your printer should have come with two "AA 0.4" and one "BB 0.4" core.  Assuming you are using one of the AA 0.4 cores, try using the other.

If this fixes your issues then it could be a faulty core or you just might have to clean the nozzle.  "curling" out of the nozzle is a sign that there might be some caramelized filament inside the very tip of the nozzle.

Clean the nozzle with many cold pulls.  There is a menu item on the printer, probably under "maintenance" that walks you through the process.

I do cold pulls manually (I remove the bowden, change the temperature manually).  To do it manually google "3d printing nozzle cold pull" and watch a video (can be any printer type -doesn't have to be an ultimaker).

I just watched this video.  I never saw it before.  It's pretty good.  I watched it at 2X because at 1X it is annoyingly slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGt8cnVIKW8

There are dozens of variations on how to do this that you will likely think of.  I usually have an ideal "cold temp" and for PLA that's around 95C.  For Nylon and ABS it is closer to 110C.  Nylon is really a fantastic cleaning material but you can do it with any filament.  Joel's method in the video of warming while pulling works and I do that also but I start at a higher temp than he does.  You can also twist as you pull.  In that case you can go much lower temperature and for PLA even room temperature.  Most people don't twist.  It works fine either way.

Thank you for such a prompt response! I think I only have 1 AA core and 1 BB core.

I've followed the maintenance prompt (and the video, it happened to be the same one you linked above), and did hot pull and cold pull a few times with PLA - that seemed to work fine, but still nothing comes out of the nozzle in the regular print...

20221127_190122.jpg

By the way, I wonder if it's really because of blockage of the nozzle? When I did the hot/cold pull, the filament came out perfectly, but when I did the actual printing, absolutely nothing came out of that nozzle, not even a little bit (for PLA)

I see you have the Material Station so that complicates things a lot.

So it can be the feeder or the core.  Firstly go into the middle menu on the left side and then click on the filament type icon in the upper area and then in the "..." in the corner select "move".  Wait for it to heat up and then spin the dial and see if you can get filament to come out.  There are dozens of reasons why you had trouble.

For example there used to be a bug if you aborted a print it would retract too much and then when it went to print again nothing would happen for quite a while.

Anyway, make sure the lever is down on the feeder.

Does that work?  Does it feed at all that way?

Anyway you have to figure out if it's the feeder or the printcore as that's mostly the only two things that can fail.  It's usually the printcore and UM considers them consumables.  Like filament.  Just order a few more for spares now.

Another test you might be able to do - while in the move menu back the filament out a lot until you see the end in the bowden tube.  Then go forwards again and fight the filament with your other hand behind the machine (can you even do that with the material station involved?  Maybe not!  Probably not.  I guess this test can't be done with the material station in use.  Anyway the feeder can usually push about 10 to 15 pounds (about 7kg) of force.

Your printer definitely came with two AA 0.4 cores.  You may have lost one or maybe it was clogged and thrown away.  the printer comes such that you can do 2 color prints with an AA in left and an AA in the right slot.