Mixing two colors with Cura 5.2

BVD

Posted · Mixing two colors with Cura 5.2

I am using Cura 5.2 and want to mix two colors, using the g-code M163 S0 P5, M163 S1 P5 and M164. My printer is not an Ultimaker. My printer settings are for two extruders with a mixing hotend part. When I am slicing the object I see that the g-code contains the correct settings for M163. However, when I start printing with for example black and green, each layer is printed with 50% black and 50% green. So it is printed after each other. Both extruder motors are running. What I had expected  was the mix of black and green, but now I see one side of the object is green and slowly changes over into black on the other side. It has a nice effect but not wat I wanted. On internet I see two color printing as a part color 1 and another part color 2, but not mixed. On our hcc!3d hobby club we have 3 ultimaker printers and two color printing works without problem. 

Question, is it possible to make settings in Cura 5.2 for mixing colors.

Hey @BVD,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

There is this amazing research about 3D hatching. 
    image.png.071acaea7ae1c626dccdd106d81aff34.png
    You can read more about it here:
    https://ultimaker.com/learn/3d-hatching-grayscale-printing-on-the-ultimaker-3

And participate in the discussion with the creator BagelOrb here:

----

There is also the Mosaic Palette which you can use for multicolor. 
    https://www.mosaicmfg.com/blogs/news/ultimaker-3d-printers-and-palette-2-2-pro-now-compatible
    Um3_P2_Print_2_large.png?v=1561345335

That's the ways that I know how. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are further investigating this problem. Printing with two colors, meaning a part color A and a part color B of the same object is no problem. But mixing e.g Yellow and Red to get a type of Orange has a strange effect when I print a cylinder. One part of the circle is Yellow slowly changing into Red and then back to yellow when tthe circle is closed. And that happens then again for the next layer again.

Our, hcc!3D, has as first conclusion that the colors are not mixed but going not mixed through the 0.4 nozzle. Why? because the inside of the cylinder has the color change in just the opposite direction. So when the outside is Yellow, the inside is Red. The nozzle is making a circle but has relative fixed position, which explains that the inside and outside have opposite colors. We are still further testing. I will close this question when we close our investigation to prove that we are right.