Problem with "holes" in bottom of model while printing in "vase mode"

shoe
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Problem with "holes" in bottom of model while printing in "vase mode"

Hi,

I am printing a christmas tree (1.png) in vase mode. It has some cylindrical cavity (not really a hole) (2.png). In vase mode in Cura 4.13 (3.png) this prints as a hole in the bottom layers. In Cure 5.21 the hole is not printed (4.png)

See screenshots.

3.png

1.png

2.png

4.png

tree18.stl

(The same tree with the same problem showed up on Github.  I'm copying my response from there to here.)

"When you enable "Spiralize"; Cura automatically enables "Remove All Holes". The implementation of Spiralize in the 5.x versions is different than in previous versions.
    In the Mesh Fixes settings turn off remove all holes.
    Because that model has a pocket in the bottom it will not print as it would have in 4.x versions of Cura. The 5.x versions will print the pocket where the 4.x versions ignored it. That pocket really needs to be as deep as the thickness of your bottom layers which I believe is .96 with your settings. That way those interior walls wouldn't print and leave seams in that portion of the model.
    What you see there is the new "expected behavior" in Cura 5.x. Some people call it a regression. It is different and needs getting used to.

If you edit the STL and plug that hole then you can bring in a cylindrical support shape in Cura and use it as a cutting mesh and put a 30mm hole in the floor. The cylinder would be 30 dia x .96mm thick."

And then I attached this project file.
    GV_120mmTreeWled.zip

Thanks. Wasn't me on Github. I am not sure I understand everything you said about thickness being exactly .96 but at least I have a place to start experimenting.

Cheers,

shoe

• Solution

The pocket you create in the bottom of the model must equal the total thickness of your bottom layers.  In that case of the poster the stack up of their bottom layers was .96.  

When you open that project file just import the model.  You will see what I did.

Here ya go.  Github Link

• Like 1