Ultimaker S5 Printer Errors- Everytime I try to print :( USB-to ethernet adapter, instead of WIFI ?

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Printer Errors- Everytime I try to print :( USB-to ethernet adapter, instead of WIFI ?

Hi All, I'm new to 3D printing and more specifically the Ultimaker S5 (w/ pro bundle) that I just got. When I first got the printer I wasn't able to get anything to print without errors (nozzle and build bed height errors). I have since learned how to manually adjust the bed height, check the noise level, check the sensors, etc. I now am able to print almost every time after I try printing out my desired item at least once. Unfortunately, it never prints on the first try, but usually prints out ok on the second try. As long as I turn off my WIFI printer and try to get rid of any electrical interference in my office. I also, noticed that my S5's WIFI network connection cuts out every night and I have to reboot the printer everyday in order for it to reconnect to my WIFI network. I read for some S5 users they got rid of all of their printing problems by disabling WIFI and just using a hard wired Ethernet connection. The problem is where my printer is I don't have access to an Ethernet jack and a hard wired connection. But, I was wondering if I could just get an "Ethernet to USB adapter" and plug my S5 into my laptop directly through USB? Has anyone here had success with printing through USB and if so, what brand/model adapter are they using? Thanks for any help that you can provide to me. Have a great day! Happy Holidays!

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Printer Errors- Everytime I try to print :( USB-to ethernet adapter, instead of WIFI ?

1) That would be a lot of work - you would have to be reasonably good with linux and see if it already has the USB/ethernet driver and if not download it and install it using wget or similar linux utility and then set it up with conman which is all doable if you are good with linux and you would also lose all of that work each time you upgraded the firmware.

Instead maybe get something more like this:

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Ethernet-2-WiFi-Universal-Wireless-GWU637/dp/B018YPWORE/

2) Regarding active leveling - there are known issues and known fixes.  What is the number that displays when you do the leveling sensor check?  <8 is good.  3 is more typical for a good printer.  The fixes usually involve replacing the side fans as they have coils and I'm guessing they act as antennas.  You can unplug them to prove it is fan related but unplugging involves taking apart the head so not trivial.  Since you have had trouble since the beginning you should be able to get replacement fans for free - or whatever service is necessary.  Typically they replace the leveling sensor which is never the issue, then the board in the print head, then the cabling and finally the fans which is usually the issue (I think - not an expert).

3) What are these other issues about first or second try?  Is this also active leveling or something different?

What about using an ethernet cable to connect my Ultimaker S5 to my laptop through the ethernet ports in both devices. Windows 10 should act as a DHCP server and assign an IP to my laptop and to my Ultimaker. Ethernet port to ethernet port. Then I could disable wireless.

That's fine but your win10 machine is now tethered and the printer is more dependent on it than normal but it should work if you know how to configure your win10 machine properly.  I don't but I'm sure google can tell you how to setup DHCP and setup your ethernet port as a hub/router.  On the other hand, for just $40 (or less) you could try the link above.