Slicing Thin Models

64Pacific

Posted (edited) · Slicing Thin Models

Hello:

I am attempting to slice this model (attached) in Cura 5.2.1 for printing on an Ultimaker 3. In previous versions of Cura I was able to get successful prints without a brim, in the current version of Cura I can only get a successful print using a brim. Aside from the brim issue a few other things that I am struggling with:

• Stringing between the small gap in the model. The remedy this I have tried to lowered the filament temperature, retraction distance and decreasing the retraction minimum travel, all without success, the stringing continues to obscure the gap.
  • Small blobs of plastic at the start and end points of the new layers (on other prints these blobs yield a jagged edge); Not too sure how to remedy this adjusting the print temperature and trying retract at layer change didn't help.

As a starting point for the PLA print I am using the out of the box Normal - 0.15mm profile. As I have been struggling with this my thinking was that older profiles were brought into the newer version of Cura and updated so everything was removed from my machine and I started with a fresh install of the current version of the slicer.

0000079.stl

Edited by 64Pacific

Posted · Slicing Thin Models

Hey @64Pacific,

What an interesting model.  What is it used for? 

I think I have been able to restore the old behavior with two simple changes.

• The initial Layer Horizontal Expansion is used to reduce elephants foot but was causing your initial layer to be a single line instead of two lines next to eachother. 
    • There is a bug with the setting Limit Support Retractions that is causing small distances from 4 mm to not be retracted. If you disable it, the move will not be retracted. 

image.thumb.png.64f5a53fb328d744fede73217f908d63.png

With a model like this I think there are other settings introduces in 5.x that might improve the printjob, but that is more depended on the application. You can read more about them here: 

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/4792077687068

Hope this helps! 💪