Bed print area restriction

Deepblue12

Posted · Bed print area restriction

I'm using Cura 5.2.1 with a Creality Ender 3 Neo printer. I've replaced the original bed with a magnetic PEI plate that does not require clips.

The bed size is stated as 235 x 235 and i'm trying to print a circular disc which is 220mm wide total. Cura has a thin grey area at the front of the plate which does not allow me to slice unless i reduce the disc size down to around 213mm. 

I've found a link that suggests editing the json file and removing the restrictions on printable area but when i try and save the edited file it gives me permission issues which i cannot seem to resolve.

Is there a simple fix for this...any help appreciated

Posted · Bed print area restriction

Hey @Deepblue12,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Before you change your Printer Definitions there is something else you can try.

There are a number of settings that influence your build volume. 
    You can change this for your specific printjob without influencing any of your future printjobs by permantly changing your configuration!

• Build plate adhesion, You can reduce the brim size, or set the adhesion type to None to get a lot of space back
    • Travel avoid distance, is you reduce this to 0 you should also get some space back but the nozzle might leave some residu on your print
    • Support horizontal expansion, if you have support enabled horizontal expansion helps with printing on top of the support but influences the space you have to print

You can read more about them here. 
    https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337565436