Fan Speed Help Requested, material is ABS

Dana1960
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted (edited) · Fan Speed Help Requested, material is ABS

I'm printing ABS in an enclosed 3D Printer. The attached models are the entire part and a segment of the entire part. The segment prints out very well. The entire part does not, see image. The issue is cooling and the print starts deforming around layer 50 and continues to ~ layer 75. Comparing Gcode results in a stark difference in cooling for those layers. The small part has 66% cooling whereas the full part has 15-30% cooling for those layers.

ABS cooling must be used wisely, or the part will be brittle and or warp off the bed. 

Attached are the project files. Not sure this will be useful given the printer type is QIDI. So also attached is the GCode files & files containing the M106, M107, & Layer values in txt format, Duct Gcode.zip

I think I need to dick around with cooling settings, see cooling image. Please suggest possible strategies to resolve this issue. 

What I would really like is a way to paint on cooling values for areas of a print that builds up too much heat. ABS may find this quite useful. Also, a way to see the fan speed in the slicer preview would also be useful.

IMG_4329.JPG

Cooling.png

1768022040_MonoDuctComposite-Body.stl Mono Duct Segment.stl 1727174379_XMAX_MonoDuctBodySegment.3mf 387699720_XMAX_MonoDuctComposite-Body.3mf Duct Gcode.zip

Edited by Dana1960

Posted · Fan Speed Help Requested, material is ABS

You need to increase the regular fan speed, otherwise it will stay at the minimum speed you have set at 15%.

the print will start at the minimum value and ramp up to the regular speed at the set regular speed layer(which is layer 4)

in your settings.

I increased the maximum/regular fan speed threshold from 25 to 50 seconds and looked at the cooling values in Gcode. Much better results, but not perfect. I'll try the minimum fan speed as well.

• Solution

@Dana1960 I'm an amateur hack and write a bit of code.  One of the things I thought Cura lacked is the ability to create a "profile" for fan speeds.

Included with this little Windows app is a Cooling Profile generator.  You can change fan speeds at any layer, shut it off, turn it back on...whatever.  There is also an option to adjust the fan speed according to Line Type (Wall-Outer, Infill, Support Interface, etc.).

Greg's SD Print Tool

This is the "By Layer Number" page:

image.thumb.png.42f62088392aa4765909351abc10db72.png

This is the "By Feature Type" page:

image.thumb.png.83688e366843a401c94bd95123e656f2.png

The app opens an existing Gcode file created with Cura.  You set up your fan profile.  The app then creates a new gcode file and writes the original into it with the fan profile inserted.  You end up with the un-altered original file and a new "Cooled" file.  (The M106 lines are PWM so all the percentages are translated to 0-255 scale.)

If you decide to install it a shortcut will be added to your desktop and there is an un-install app.

If you decide to try it and come across any issues let me know.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

@obewan, I tried using the minimum fan speed. It helped somewhat. However, it doesn't solve the various cooling requirements for the overall model. It solved most of the problem. Now it fails above the raft. This is due to it is considered a skin thereby using the regular fan speed value and then increases fan speed gradually from there on up resulting in dropping for few layers. I'm going to give the above tool a go.

Honestly, trying to resolve these types of issues with esoteric settings makes for many trials and is therefore very time consuming. When in fact a more direct approach, as in the tool above, makes for a greater understanding. Perhaps it too will be time consuming but educational.

"Perhaps it too will be time consuming but educational."

That is 3D printing in a nutshell.

Every day I strive to learn something new (good for the mind) and do a good deed (good for the soul).

@GregValiant, your latest tool version works great. I examined the file contents, all is well. 

On 1/6/2023 at 6:52 AM, GregValiant said:

@Dana1960 I'm an amateur hack and write a bit of code.  One of the things I thought Cura lacked is the ability to create a "profile" for fan speeds.

Included with this little Windows app is a Cooling Profile generator.  You can change fan speeds at any layer, shut it off, turn it back on...whatever.  There is also an option to adjust the fan speed according to Line Type (Wall-Outer, Infill, Support Interface, etc.).

Greg's SD Print Tool

This is the "By Layer Number" page:

image.thumb.png.42f62088392aa4765909351abc10db72.png

This is the "By Feature Type" page:

image.thumb.png.83688e366843a401c94bd95123e656f2.png

The app opens an existing Gcode file created with Cura.  You set up your fan profile.  The app then creates a new gcode file and writes the original into it with the fan profile inserted.  You end up with the un-altered original file and a new "Cooled" file.  (The M106 lines are PWM so all the percentages are translated to 0-255 scale.)

If you decide to install it a shortcut will be added to your desktop and there is an un-install app.

If you decide to try it and come across any issues let me know.

Greg, When I open your tool to use on my Magician x I get an error 

"The port is closed".  
    Do you hae any suggestions on how I can me open the port?
    THanks, Cant wait to try your tool!

Enter

Where did you copy the file to?

Are you adding it as a post-processor in Cura?  (Extensions/Post Processing/Modify Gcode and then "Add Script".)

@GregValiant - appreciate this a slightly older post but have just come across your little app - it works great except I'm not seeing the button to generate the cooling profiles...?

I'm on Windows 11...

The function in the app is a post processor so it:

• Opens the gcode file you choose
    • You make the settings as you want (the "profile") within the dialog box.
    • When you hit the "Create" button it writes a new gcode file with your fan "profile" written into it.  The profile settings doesn't actually save anywhere so once you close the app those particular settings are forgotten.

Cura 5.7beta has "Advanced Cooling Fan Control" which is the same thing as that app has but it is a true post-processor.

Go to "Extensions / Post Processing / Modify Gcode" and then "Add Script" and it will be in the list.

With ABS or other materials that are prone to warping - "By Layer" works best.  It is also better for small prints.

If you use "By Feature" on small prints then the fan speed can bounce up and down constantly rather than giving an even speed.  "By Feature" works well on big prints or for situations where you just want cooling for skins or maybe support-interface.

The Cura post processor looks like this:

image.thumb.png.c2ac6c6f4acbb1a6070203461c53b8b7.png  

Thanks for coming back so quickly Greg - I am on Cura 5.6.0 atm so that post-processor doesn't show... yet.

Your app on my screen looks like:

image.thumb.png.f06143ac6cd2ab8fe958c33ce86e5bb4.png

The "Print the file" button does as it's name suggests, but I don't see the button "Add Cooling profile to a GCode File" - as your previous post shows?

I'm happy to wait for Cura 5.7 but was keen to play with the cooling...

Thanks again

Sorry about that.  That is the "Lite" app "Greg's SD Print Tool" and it is basic.  The Cooling tool is no longer in that version, just the full "Greg's Toolbox".  (I was maintaining two versions and since that post processor was to be included in Cura, I removed it from the app.)

Here is the actual Cura post processor:

AddCoolingProfile.zip

In Cura 5.6.0 use the "Help | Show Configuration Folder" command.  On my Windows system it is:

C:\Users\...my name...\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.6\scripts

Unzip the file and put "AddCoolingProfile.py" into that "scripts" folder.

It will be available with the other post processors right inside Cura.  The script is not version specific so it will work fine.

Let me know if you would prefer to have it in "Greg's SD Print Tool".  I never removed the code, just hid the button.  I would need to take a look again to make sure it is up to date.

Edited by GregValiant

Hi Greg - that's great!

Many thanks indeed for your help and support!

No need to redo the app, using it as the post processsor will be just fine!

Happy printing!