Geeetech Thunder 3d Printer Profile in Cura Mac OS

brvids
Go to solution Solved by MariMakes,

Posted (edited) · Geeetech Thunder 3d Printer Profile in Cura Mac OS

Hello, I just bought a geeetech thunder and so far pretty dang good printer for the price. However, I can find absolutely zero info on a profile for it in Mac OS version of Cura. They tell you how for Windows I believe. Does anybody have any info on this? Or is there a geeetech thunder profile for mac os I can get somewhere? Appreciate any info.

Edited by brvids

• brvids changed the title to Geeetech Thunder 3d Printer Profile in Cura Mac OS
    Posted · Geeetech Thunder 3d Printer Profile in Cura Mac OS

Hey @brvids,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉
    I checked the Cura Github for you and it looks like the defintions have been added beginning of december so you can expect them in the next Cura Stable Release.

image.thumb.png.4b9c80742a9047b4d08f71221e602d3d.png

I helped to distill the GeeTech files that you need.  Geetech.zip
    If you drag the folders and files in this ZIP to your Resources folder
    C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources

You can already start printing with them today. 

Don't forget to share your appreciation to the community member who contributed the profiles here:
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/13973

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there thanks very much! But this just doesn't work on the macos version. I've placed all files in the necessary folders on the MAC version of Cura and the Thunder just does not show up at all. Any idea about this? I appreciate it!

Hey @brvids,

The folders indeed live in a different place on a Mac. Sorry! 😅

The copying won't work if you place them in your configuration folder, which has a very similar structure.

They need to be in the package contents. 

This is where you should be able to find them:
    Right click on the Ultimaker-Cura.app > Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents > Resources > share > cura

Thanks again, but this is unfortunately where I'm having the problem. I place all of those files as instructed under the correct locations as you showed above and the Thunder simply does not show up. There is no option under "geeetech" to add the Thunder 3d printer. 

Hey @brvids,

I'm sorry to hear the trick didn't work for you. This usually works for Windows devices. 

I just checked with a collegue with a Mac and he also has trouble loading the printers. 😮
    We are going to take a look what's going wrong and getting back to you 💪
    🤞

Hey @brvids,

I apologize, it was a mistake on my side. 😭

You were missing a single important file in the zip! Geeetech_Single_Extruder.def.json
    This folder should be complete:
    Geetech (2).zip

Also, the folder is more hidden than I expected:
    Right click on the Ultimaker-Cura.app > Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents > Resources > share > cura>resources

I really think this should do it! 🤞

I really appreciate the support. Unfortunately that hasn't worked either. I still see no option to add the Thunder printer.

So am I just out of luck on this? I was really hoping to get it working on the MacOS version. They say it'll be released in 5.3, but it doesn't show up in the Alpha version so far.

It looks like the "Thunder" definition was added on 12-13-2022.  Cura 5.3 will be released shortly and your definition should be in there.

In the short term you could try adding a different Geeetech printer that has the same number of nozzles.  Change the bed size to match your machine and it should work.

7 hours ago, GregValiant said:

It looks like the "Thunder" definition was added on 12-13-2022.  Cura 5.3 will be released shortly and your definition should be in there.

In the short term you could try adding a different Geeetech printer that has the same number of nozzles.  Change the bed size to match your machine and it should work.

But shouldn't it be in the alpha version? I downloaded it and actually I do see the Geeetech Thunder under a blank tab, but when I try to add it, it just does nothing. Something very strange is going on with the files. I added the files exactly as instructed and nothing. Windows is no problem, but I don't use Windows.

I don't work for UltiMaker (actually, I don't work at all) so I don't know what they would include in an "alpha" version.  My guess is that it would be kind of hit-or-miss as not all changes and additions might be ready to publish.  All additions and changes to Cura have to pass some tests.  The Thunder definition might have passed in Windows but failed for the Mac.  I don't really know.

• Solution

I had another colleague with a Mac device look at it and we made it work with the following workflow.
    Apparently there is a secret folder in Mac that you need to open by typing a command in the Terminal. 

1. Open Terminal
    2. Type or copy paste

open ~/Library/Application\ Support/cura

3. Open 5.2 folder
    4. For every folder copy the contents from the Zip into the folder with the corresponding name from this zip Geetech (2) (1).zip

Hope this works. 🤞

Also a little birdy told me that hopefully you only need to wait a week for a 5.3 Beta. 🤐😉

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, MariMakes said:

I had another colleague with a Mac device look at it and we made it work with the following workflow.
    Apparently there is a secret folder in Mac that you need to open by typing a command in the Terminal. 

1. Open Terminal
    2. Type or copy paste

open ~/Library/Application\ Support/cura

3. Open 5.2 folder
    4. For every folder copy the contents from the Zip into the folder with the corresponding name

Hope this works. 🤞

Also a little birdy told me that hopefully you only need to wait a week for a 5.3 Beta. 🤐😉

Awesome, I'll try it otherwise that is not long to wait. I appreciate it!

It worked! Thanks very much!

1598545603_giphy(2).gif.204aedd3755fcae6d461f1c1e2fe96a9.gif

The Cura 5.3 Beta with these printers has now been released. 🎉