PVA Removal Station

rvenzon

Posted · PVA Removal Station

I've been waiting patiently for the PVA Removal Station to go on sale in Canada. I just saw a pre-order availability through a canadian distributor at a cost of $1,235.10 CAD. The price caught me a bit off guard. Is it worth it at that price? Are there alternatives or diy solutions to achieve the same result?

My first thought would be, an ultrasonic cleaner or the Form Labs Wash station. Using water in either of them.

Posted · PVA Removal Station

The UM solution does not use ultrasonics.  Just a circulator and I think maybe heat?  A lot of people like to use a sous vide machine like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Stainless-Immersion-Circulator-Temperature/dp/B07RNWJZNR/ref=zg_bs_10962055011_sccl_7/139-0445537-1890517?psc=1

Because they provide the circulation and also accurate heat control (stay way below the softening temp of PLA which is 52C so 35C should be safe).  However, I have one of those sous vide things (for cleaning pva) and rarely use it and instead just put it in a container of water overnight.

The UM one does indeed work better/faster than just using a container with no circulation.  Maybe 2x faster?  Also the sous vide thing doesn't do as good a job at circulation which tends to circulate mostly just within a few inches of the outflow.

Posted (edited) · PVA Removal Station

I happen to have a small sink, small laundry type metal sink in our work are. I picked up a small aquarium pump from a pet store and attach it a few inches from the bottom with the suction cups it came with. Since we do not have hot water, I just recently added a aquarium submersible heater (100 watt)  that suctions to the side of the sink. 

I have done 2 washes with the heater, and can see an improvement. been using the pump for over a year now. if washing smaller parts, get some sort of basket or cage to hold the parts under water. 

IMG_9527.JPG

IMG_9528.JPG

IMG_9529.JPG

Edited by shocky2018
    add photos