Longer LK5 Pro Nozzle Settings

matthewsean78
Go to solution Solved by MariMakes,

Posted (edited) · Longer LK5 Pro Nozzle Settings

Hello All,

I am very new to 3D printing.  I have recently purchased a Longer LK5 Pro to dip my toe in the world of 3D printing.  I am interested in changing my nozzle from a 0.4mm to a 0.6mm due to the fact that most things I currently printing do not have intricate details.  I am using Ultimaker Cura version 5.2.2 and I do not see the option to change nozzle size under: preferences, configure cure, printers (select my printer), machine settings, extruder 1 tab.  If someone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matthewsean78

Longer LK5 Pro settings.jpg

Edited by matthewsean78

Posted · Longer LK5 Pro Nozzle Settings

Hey @matthewsean78,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Since Cura is open source, printer profiles are contributed by community members, or by the 3D printing companies. I can see that the Longer profiles have been contributed by Longer themselves in January of 2021.

I can also see that they included more nozzle sizes, including the 0.6, but they do not seem to have ended up in Cura 😮
    I'll bring it up to the team to see what happened to the profiles. 🙃
    I'll report back if I know more.

• Thanks 1

In the meantime you can install the 0.6 nozzle and set all the Cura "Line Width" settings to "0.6" and set your "Layer Height" to something like 0.3 and you should be able to print well with that 0.6 nozzle.  "Nozzle Size" is a reference...it's the Line Width that counts.  I've pushed my .4 nozzle to .8mm line width with no problems.

I looked at the Longer definition files and it's as @MariMakes says - they defined your printer as having nozzle "variants" but there is only the single nozzle variant at .4mm.  You could add a nozzle file but then you would also need to add Quality files for each material and for each setting "profile".  It gets messy in a hurry.

You will find the nozzle size for your printer under "Settings / Extruder 1 / Nozzle Size".  You will see that only the .4 is available.

Yes.  That's what we're trying to say.  There are no other sizes because Longer did not provide any other sizes.  Ultimaker has no idea what a Longer looks like much less what it can handle in terms of flow, speeds, acceleration and other things.  This is a Longer issue.  They provide the defintions for their printers and neglected to add optional nozzle sizes.

I get the same thing you are seeing.  Under "Settings / Extruder 1 / Nozzle sizes" there is only one nozzle listed and it's the 0.4.

image.thumb.png.f7d53dce2b88588cd818b118890606f9.png

This is with my Ender 3 Pro active.  Creality provides more nozzle definitions when they submit a printer definition file to Ultimaker for inclusion in Cura.

image.thumb.png.11e6f2f727bc1c6250d74fdca4b02c77.png

Edited by GregValiant

• Solution

Hey @dalbows4,

Sorry, it took us a while to get back to you 😞 

It required some digging but it looks like Longer removed the files themselves.
    You can read more about it here.

image.thumb.png.4b9c80742a9047b4d08f71221e602d3d.png

I was able to distill the Longer files that you need before they removed them from Cura. 
    .  Cura-42224447319f0ba3bd55a7d63a57e456ee331da4.zip
    If you drag the folders and files in this ZIP to your Resources folder
    C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources

You should have more nozzles showing up. 

Good luck!

• Like 7
    • Thanks 1
    • Heart 2

Hey @Suemm3212,

Could it be that you installed Cura 5.3 but dragged them into Cura 5.2?
    Do you see them if you open Cura 5.2?

Do you have other Cura installations in C:\Program Files?

I will try that

Suemm3212 once you copy everything remove your Longer LK5 then add it back. once you do that you should be able to click the drop down and have different nozzle sizes. it was not working for me either but once I removed the lk 5 pro as a printer and added it back they were there. 

I just discovered this thread today. I have the same problem with my LK5 Pro. I followed Marimakes' instructions, downloaded the zip file and saved it in Resources as instructed. This did not work. I then followed JDMorrison75's example and removed the LK5 Pro, and then reinstalled it. Still no joy. 

Any suggestions?

The individual files need to be in the correct folder or Cura won't be able to find them.

Within the Zip file that MariMakes posted is a folder named "variants".  Within that folder are the nozzle files.  Copy the seven LK5Pro nozzles from that file to the "variants" folder within your Cura Configuration folder.  You can find that folder by using the "Help | Show Configuration Folder" command in Cura.  On my Windows system it's:

"C:\Users\...username...\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.4\variants"

They should show up in Cura  under "Settings | Extruder 1 | Nozzle Size" like so.

image.thumb.png.cff6c4ae3954b7cdc2e7108c116d5204.png

4 hours ago, GregValiant said:

"C:\Users\...username...\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.4\variants"

You can also shorten that "%APPDATA%\cura\5.4\variants". Sorry, just being pedantic. Although if you change your username, the files don't automatically move, so it's not necessarily the folder with your username you want. %APPDATA% is a Windows environment variable that always points to the AppData\Roaming\ folder for your account.

Hi. You need to unzip the file before not just 'drag' the file itself.

5 hours ago, Johnmohn said:

Hi. You need to unzip the file before not just 'drag' the file itself.

Yep, that's just what Greg said:

On 9/7/2023 at 9:02 AM, GregValiant said:

Within the Zip file that MariMakes posted is a folder named "variants".  Within that folder are the nozzle files.  Copy the seven LK5Pro nozzles from that file to the "variants" folder within your Cura Configuration folder.

• Like 1

The only option I see under Longer is the .4 nozzle. What am I doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.89550569e56557a1677be5e0432be622.png

• Like 1

Did you download the zip file that MariMakes posted?

Unzip the file.

You need to manually copy the files from the unzipped folders ("definitions", "extruders" et al) to the same-named folders in the Cura installation folder.

If a folder happens to be missing from the Cura installation folder, then you will need to copy the entire folder over.

On 2/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, MariMakes said:

Hey @dalbows4,

Sorry, it took us a while to get back to you 😞 

It required some digging but it looks like Longer removed the files themselves.
    You can read more about it here.

image.thumb.png.4b9c80742a9047b4d08f71221e602d3d.png

I was able to distill the Longer files that you need before they removed them from Cura. 
    .  Cura-42224447319f0ba3bd55a7d63a57e456ee331da4.zip
    If you drag the folders and files in this ZIP to your Resources folder
    C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources

You should have more nozzles showing up. 

Good luck!

Hello MariMake,

What happened to the zip file with the Longer LK5 pro configurations for additional nozzle sizes. I recently purchased the 3D printer and have been wanting to try new sizes out. It looks like there are additional files needed other than the "variants" folder files for different diameters. Can you provide another link, or any additional assistance with this issue. Thank you.
    JB

NOTE- Never mind .. the download worked perfectly. 

Edited by bentleyjp
    missed link.
    • Like 1