Put New STL in Existing Project File

minuteman64
Go to solution Solved by DivingDuck,

Posted · Put New STL in Existing Project File

Hi, guys.  I've recently "upgraded" to Cura 3.2.1 and started working with project files.  Getting used to (and liking) the project file concept, but a little confused on one issue.  I frequently develop a profile for a particular model and then want to use the same profile for another model.  Can I open an existing project file that contains a model, clear that model from the profile and import a different model?  If so, what's the procedure?  The "clear build plate"  command looks like a winner, but some caveats show up on the screen that appear to threaten to clear all of the profile settings. 

• Solution

Add the new model to an open project first and then delete the old model. An other way is to save a developed profile as a new profile and attach it later to a new project.

BTW, actual version of Cura is 5.2.2.

I think I kinda sorta did what you suggested.  Anyways, it worked.  I opened my existing project file and cleared the platform.  Contrary to what I thought I recalled, no warning dialog appeared.  Then did "Save As" and saved as "new name.curaproject.3mf."  Then I was able to import a new model and save model and profile as the new project file.

It looks like I can also clear the platform in a project file and bring in a new STL under the same project name.  I encounter this frequently, since I often print a model and like the print result but find the model itself needs modification.  Back to the CAD program to modify the drawing.  New STL, import and print new version.

Appreciate the input.