Head Flood

smNOVT

Posted (edited) · Head Flood
12 hours ago, tomnagel said:

Reprinting will come back in firmware version 8.1.2. I expect it will be released within a week.

Wow, that was a detailed reply.
My satisfaction with the printer is increasing rapidly.
We are using the S5Pro for 2 years now. There have been a lot of annoyances with the machine, but now it's getting really interesting.

First print after the firmware upgrade:

A lot of material in a place where it shouldn't be - see photos attached. The build plate was shifted to the right side by about 30 mm.
I don't know if this is related to the new software, but we never had something like that before.

btw: I think you definitely deserve a "design for environment award". The whole print core is scrap with the cables baked into PLA.

001.png

002.png

003.png

Edited by smNOVT
corrected typo

Posted · Head Flood

Sorry - I moved this to a different thread as it seems mostly off topic.  You can extract the parts related to the firmware update and post again over there if you want.

I also changed the title to "head flood" which is what this is called.

So these are kind of common.  People eventually learn to never have them but it's a nasty lesson to learn.  I've never had one and they can happen in UM3/S3/S5 (but are protected better against in the S7).  I have 2 of those machines and they are pretty active.

So there are two causes - one is the door on the print head flops down overly easily during a print.  This is pretty rare.

The much more common cause is that your print came loose at a moment when it was wider than tall (like a hockey puck) and the print head started sliding the print around on the print bed (like a hockey puck).  The filament keeps coming out and builds up and after maybe 15 minutes it starts getting into the head and after an hour or so it's a disaster.  As you now know.

The solution is to never ever let your parts come loose.  There is a ton of discussion about this.  It also helps to monitor the printer every hour or so but that's not a reasonable solution.  For more details on this (not letting your part come loose) please ask - but first tell me your material that you are printing.

No need to throw anything away - this is fixable with heat gun and metal tools (like needle nose pliers) but is a royal pain and you have to dedicate an hour or so with the right tools.  Also manually heat up the cores to start melting from the center as well. 

Or you could possibly send it back to your reseller and make them do it (I know someone who has fixed a dozen of these).  But they will charge of course.

The most delicate parts are the cables in the cores that go to the sensor and heater but cores are considered "consumables" anyway.  Clean those up last as it's helpful to have the internal heaters.

• Like 1