Programmatically send a CAD file to Cura via JSON push

Sven_Hinrichs

Posted · Programmatically send a CAD file to Cura via JSON push

Hi All, 

Is there a way (such as a plugin) to send a CAD file to CURA and open it automatically?
I can provide a JSON using Post, and it will contain a URL to the CAD file

"modelUrl": "https://[mylinktothecadfile]",

Thanks, All!

Hey @Sven_Hinrichs,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉
    This looks like something that the ThingiBrowser does. 
    You can read more about it here: https://github.com/ChrisTerBeke/CuraThingiBrowserPlugin

It get's more trickier if you try to load a file format that is not supported 
    This is a list of supported file types https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667411286871

Can you help me understand, what problem are you trying to solve? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mari, 

Apologies, I didn't see your reply!

Essentially, I'm trying to automate a process where designs are stored centrally and I can "order" them from a central system. I want to avoid having to go into CURA and opening cad files individually (pull), but I'd rather have them pushed into CURA. 

I have the following components:

• A library of CAD designs, hosted on AWS
      • My S3 bucket is mounted as a local drive (via rclone)
      • I have access control, so I can pass a URL from where the files can be downloaded
    • Fusion360, 
      • This exports the CAD file directly to the S3 bucket
      • Today, I'm exporting it to the mounted drive
      • Once this all works, I'll get the JSON exporter plug-in to save files automatrically
    • A slicer, such as CURA
    • A tool to post JSONs; I use make.com
      • I can easily query my S3 bucket by file name and retrieve the CAD file URL
      • I can then pass that URL to {hopefully} CURA
      • The CAD file should then automatically load

Hope this makes sense?

You can have Cura slice from the command line.  Does that help?  It's not trivial as there are many configuration files (machine config, profile, overrides, material config, per-nozzle config) but many people use this technique to automate slicing.

google "cura engine command line" and read both the github and forum articles.