Problems with hole next to edge during Kossel Print

runninfarmer

Posted · Problems with hole next to edge during Kossel Print

I really like the quality of Cura prints but I have been having troubles with holes that are close to 3-sided edges. I'm trying to print one of the top motor mounts for the mini-kossel and the layered toolpath looks fine in Cura, but it's not in the actual print. Trying to figure out what the issue is. If you look in the lower left hand corner of the Kossel "foot", there is a region next to the hole where it gets printed independently and ends up misaligned with the bottom of the foot below the hole. When printing above the hole it corrects itself and the top half is in alignment.

Would this be an extruder issue or extrusion setting issue, or combination thereof? Thanks for the help!!

I don't know how to post pics since this is my first post.

You mean this thing?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:167265

It slices fine for me if I put the skinny edge down (second to largest flat side). I didn't try putting the largest side down. Is that the right part even?

You have already activated your account so you can post images. On top right of this page click "Gallery", then click blue "upload" button. After uploading come back here and make a post and next to smiley face click "my media" and select "gallery images".

The problem is almost certainly visible in "layer view". Try it again and go through the layers and stop at the problem spot. The fix is most likely to uncheck "fix horrible" in expert settings. But I need more information to be sure.

What kind of printer do you have?

Thanks for the fast response and help! I apologize for the confusion. I mistakenly wrote motor mount. I meant one of the top 3 frame mounts for the 15 mm extrusion. I've uploaded an image of the layer output and an image of the layers up to the point of the problem. i have an arrow showing the location. I will post a pic of the actual print when I get home and add it to this post. it looks like it should print fine based on the layers. My printer is an ordbot hadron. I'm using wild bills PG35L extruder from thingverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24992%C2%A0%C2%A0

I usually save the gcode and import it into repeteir-host since I use repeteir firmware.

Frame Mount Layer image

kossel layer 2

I will post my settings with the extra pic when I get them. Thanks again!

Here some pics of the acutal print I did:

IMG 0605[1]

IMG 0604[1]

For the most part it looks pretty good. PLA just got thin around the area by the hole and doesn't align very well. Picture doesn't show it the best.

Ah! Okay. Not a slicing issue. Usually these types of issues are temperature issues, but it could also be print speed.

If you are patient and don't want to experiment, slow down to .2mm layers, 30mm/sec but more likely the problem is fixed by lowering the bed temp to 60C (75C is definitely too hot - 70C works good though) and also have the fans come on a little earlier - you want 100% fan by the time it gets to this spot - so maybe fan on full at 3mm? It's hard for me to judge height accurately. I think the default (in expert settings) is 5mm for full fan.

Also double check that both side fans are working well.

So in summary:

1) Lowering bed temp alone might be enough

2) make sure fans are working

3) If that's not enough try printing slower and thinner. .2mm is a great compromise - .3mm is a bit thick in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips. i've been printing at 0.3 mm height because I found my hot end is dragging the print too much at lower heights. Do you think this is a result of wrong Z steps/mm calibration? Though my calibration cube was within 0.01" of the true height. I have a belt driven z-axis but I have the belts taut and they don't appear to ever drop.