Resuming to print at a specific point after a pause

lara5631

Posted · Resuming to print at a specific point after a pause

Hello everyone!

Is there any possibility to resume to a paused print at a specific point? So not on level zero / the actual building plate but a few centimeters above?

I had to pause a print for an hour when there were five hours left. When I resumed to the print the nozzle started moving again but now material was extruding and on the screen was written that there are only four hours left. So I basically lost this piece of printing when I was pausing for an hour.

Is there any possibility to solve this? It was a 22 hours print so I would be very happy if I didn't have to restart again. 

Thanks for your help!

Posted · Resuming to print at a specific point after a pause

The time on the screen is probably wrong.  I'd just continue the print and it should be fine.  There's probably a bug with the time calculation if you pause the print.  No big deal.

If you aborted the print already then yes it should be possible.  Keep the bed hot!  If the bed cooled then your part is probably no longer sticking to the bed and it's too late.

I don't know the start up procedure on the UM2+C.  On the UM2 it does a nozzle purge which involves touching the print bed in the front left corner.  If this should hit your print then you can't continue the print.  On the S3/S5/S7 printers you are out of luck because they do active leveling.  But on the UM2+C I think you can do it.

Take your existing gcode file (is it a UFP?  If so rename it to zip and extract the gcode file, edit and put it back in and rename back to ufp) and edit it.  There are instructions on the forum of what to do.  There are 2 steps:

1) Remove all the layers you don't want.  Easy - there are comments in there - any line in the gcode with "E" in the name involves extruding so make sure any extruding is done well above your failure point.  The tricky part is to find where it failed and you can do that with a micrometer or with trial and error.

2) reset the E value.  Read about the G92 gcode.  You want to fool the printer thinking it has already extruded the exact right amount of filament and use G92 to reset E to the correct value e.g. 1234mm of filament.  Google G92 and "resuming" on this forum and you should be able to find it:  google this:

site:ultimaker.com g92 resuming

Lot's of notes on resuming a failed print.