S5 Silicon Nozzle Cover

GAD

Posted · S5 Silicon Nozzle Cover

Hey Ultimaker - if you're listening - your silicon nozzle cover in the S5 sucks. 

Signed, someone who loves his S5 Pro but who wants to throw the entire thing out the window every time that damn cover rips. The video on how to replace it doesn't help, the cover is terrifically difficult to work on, it doesn't seat well 99.99% of the time, and it's just a terrible experience all around. I think i'm at the point where I'm just going to remove the print head every time that stupid cover needs to be replaced. 

That is all. 

Answering my own question. 

From here: https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/ultimaker-silicone-nozzle-covers/sk/MMGF0TPM

The function of the silicone nozzle cover is to contain the heat of your 3D printer's hotends so that temperatures remain steady for optimal 3D printing filament flow and smooth 3D print results. Additionally, the silicone nozzle covers contribute to clean prints and minimal maintenance by helping to protect the hotends against any potential filament backflow.

The benefits of the silicone cover comes most apparent when doing dual extrusion prints.

The only filament backflow I had was due to the silicone cover that teared during the print.

and we do a lot of dual prints. (about 70% of the time and the printer is used close to 24/7 for 4 years now)

I just wanted to bring this back around because six months later after battling many many failed prints (usually with PLA and PVA dual extrusion but also with first layer adhesion) I put the silicon cover back on and noticed an immediate improvement. 

So, I'm back to using the cover. I've taken to removing the print head from the rods to replace the cover so I can at least get my fingers in there and see what I'm doing, but in my experience the printer works better with the cover intact. 

• Like 1