Ultimaker S3 - BuildTak Flexplate Install / Clarification / Review

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S3 - BuildTak Flexplate Install / Clarification / Review

Intro This isn't a question post but an information post.  Reason I'm posting it is because I couldn't find a single person who has tried this and posted it.

Materials :

PEI  Sheets https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/buildtak-3d-printer-pei-build-surface-pack-of-3/sk/MDPJTW93

Extra Glass Bed : https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/glass-print-bed-for-ultimaker-2-3/sk/MFHKAEQK

Flex Plate System : https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/buildtak-flexplate-system-9-x-10/sk/MPZ03EZP

The reason why I chose the PEI sheets over using the typical Buildtak original material is because I wanted to replicate the package that buildtak has for the Ultimaker S5 which uses the PEI sheet instead of the original material.  Unfortunately Buildtak does not offer a package for the Ultimaker S3. Finally, I primarily prototype in PETG and the original surface tends to be worn down easily by it.

Installation

1. Essentially the Flexplate Magnetic Base comes with an adhesive on one side which sticks well to the glass bed, it also has some relief corners to accommodate the bed plate clamps. 
  2. Stick Magnetic Base onto the glass bed
  3. Reinstall the Glass Bed
  4. Stick PEI sheet onto Flex plate
  5. Install Flex Plate and You're done

Review

After having the system installed for a few days, I can confidently say that it has made my life a whole lot easier.  I no longer have to worry about chipping the glass bed when I work with PETG but instead, can focus on designing the parts themselves (exactly the purpose of purchasing an Ultimaker over another brand).  Moreover, the PEI sheet has worked well with a variety of materials and provide a smooth enough finish on the base of the part. In conclusion, I would do this modification again, in fact, I wished I wouldve done it sooner.  So if you're anything like me and work with a lot of materials that stick too well to glass beds, get this system, it works.

Edited by Kamakanaaa
Edited Content
  • Like 2

• Kamakanaaa changed the title to Ultimaker S3 - BuildTak Flexplate Install / Clarification / Review
  • 3 months later...
Posted · Ultimaker S3 - BuildTak Flexplate Install / Clarification / Review

Hey!

awesome idea, glad to see there is a mod for this.

Do you have any issues with the auto leveling? Does it need to be disabled?

Looking to perform this mod as well.