Unwanted top/bottom-layer behavior

maurice

Posted (edited) · Unwanted top/bottom-layer behavior

I recently started using Cura 5.3.0 on an M2 Mac. I noticed some new (unwanted) behavior concerning top/bottom-layers. If I print a thin section in the bottom layer, the new top-layer of that section is printed separately with walls, although the pattern is the same as in the surrounding layer:

Screenshot2023-04-07at18_26_30.png.8ffeedb943d663314b06d9eb9a034532.png

The next layer shows the border of the thin section:

Screenshot2023-04-07at18_26_41.png.0f66f5f8c370f9024941da97d068bc58.png

I've not noticed this behavior before, but maybe I haven't printed thin sections in the bottom part before. However, I don't want this, because it does not look good, and it creates many extra print-movements. Can I turn this behavior off?

Edited by maurice
fixed typo

Posted · Unwanted top/bottom-layer behavior

I see now that the older version of Cura I  use does the same thing. I also understand why it happens this way, but it is not always desirable...

Probably not a setting but a rounding issue with a non-flat surface. You could try slightly adjusting the layer height, or the initial layer height. Better yet: make the model truely flat on top, not "approximately flat".

Thx for the reply.