Cura 4 project files not opening as projects in Cura 5.3.0

DrCeeVee

Posted (edited) · Cura 4 project files not opening as projects in Cura 5.3.0

I've just discovered an issue/bug in Cura 5. I've noticed it in Cura 5.3.0 (currently the latest version), but it may be present in earlier versions of Cura 5. When I try to open project (.3MF) files I created using Cura 4, the files open as models and not as projects (i.e., no printer settings are loaded, but just the 3D model is imported). The relevant setting in Preferences is set to "Always ask me this" when opening a project file, but it does not ask me anything, and simply imports the models, but no printer settings.

I have tried to open the exact same files in Cura 4.13.1, and it correctly loads them as projects, complete with the models and the printer settings (it asks me what I want to do, as it should). This means that the files themselves are OK and they contain the printer settings as well as the models. Also, if I use Cura 5.3.0 to create and save a test project file, and then restart Cura 5.3.0 and open the test project file, Cura 5.3.0 correctly loads it as a project (it asks me what I want to do, as it should). This means that my installation of Cura 5.3.0 is set up correctly to be able to load project files. I tried to completely uninstall Cura 5.3.0 from my PC, clean everything up (no remaining traces of Cura in PC) and reinstall it, but it still has the same behavior, as described in the 1st paragraph above.

Based on the above, it seems that Cura 5.3.0 is somehow incompatible with Cura project files created in Cura 4 (including the latest 4.13.1). This is a serious issue for me (as I believe for many Cura users), because many of my projects involve careful tuning of printer parameters to achieve an optimal 3D print.

How can I open Cura 4 project files in Cura 5.3.0 as real projects (not just the models)? Has anyone experienced the same issue, and is there a solution? Can someone try to open a Cura 4 project file and let me know if it can successfully be loaded as a project in Cura 5.3.0?

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by DrCeeVee
Improved title.

• DrCeeVee changed the title to Cura 4 project files not opening as projects in Cura 5.3.0
    8 minutes ago, mrender said:

Thanks mrender, I was not aware of this post. I had a look, and, sadly, no solution is offered. If you read my post above, you'll see that the .3MF files I'm talking about are proper project files (they open as projects in Cura 4.13.1), so it's not a problem with the files themselves, and also not a Preferences setting issue.

Edited by DrCeeVee
    Improved text clarity.

Posted · Cura 4 project files not opening as projects in Cura 5.3.0
    50 minutes ago, nallath said:

Could you share the log files?

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a great idea!

I'm attaching the Cura 5.3.0 log file, which I deleted before running Cura, so as to remove all previous data in it. The project file I'm trying to open (which fails to open as a project) is called UMS5_Enclosure - Back Face.3mf. Please note that this exact same file can be correctly opened as a project in Cura 4.13.1 without any problems.

There are several error entries in the log, relating to the opening of the above project file, but I can't interpret them. Perhaps you or the Cura developers could have a look and tell me if you can spot anything that could help us solve this issue.

Many thanks again!

cura-log.zip

That's the error I though it would be! A hotfix should be out for that soon.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

thank you

7 minutes ago, nallath said:

That's the error I though it would be! A hotfix should be out for that soon.

Many thanks, @nallath, for your support. Looks like a solution is in the works. Looking forward to it.

Hi everyone. This is to report my findings on the new Cura 5.3.1, regarding the issue in this thread.

I'm sad to report that the issue has only partially been resolved. Now Cura project files do open as projects, but not all printer parameters are restored!

I've started a new thread about this issue, as this is related to a new version of Cura (5.3.1). Please post your comments and suggestions in the new thread if you are referring to Cura 5.3.1.

Edited by DrCeeVee
    Moved post to a new thread.