Version 5.3.0 introduces slowdown on perimeters

3DCloner
Go to solution Solved by 3DCloner,

Posted (edited) · Version 5.3.0 introduces slowdown on perimeters

Hello! I installed version 5.3.0 of cura, it slows down on perimeters. I used exactly the same parameters in the previous version 5.2.1 and 5.1.1, same stl, I removed all the settings, I installed it again, but I couldn't solve it. Even the plugins already exclude all thinking that could have influenced. Does anyone know what can it be? 

Here is the link on my google drive of videos of the printer doing perimeters in 5.2.1 (more fluid) and 5.3.0 (keeps pausing).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CK0J5uDkHyqsHHMukNj9YMUIsk9IppuP?usp=sharing

3STG4_CILINDRO TOP_5.1.1.gcode 3STG4_CILINDRO TOP_5.2.1.gcode 3STG4_CILINDRO TOP_5.3.0.gcode

Edited by 3DCloner

Posted · Version 5.3.0 introduces slowdown on perimeters

Snippet from the 5.1.1 gcode

;LAYER:44
    G1 F1800 X158.752 Y154.235 E0.05372

This is from the 5.2.1 gcode at layer 44

G1 F1800 X158.752 Y154.235 E0.05372

And from the 5.3.0 file

G1 F1800 X161.713 Y154.22 E0.05364

So in each file the print speed is 30mm/sec.  Within each file the speed never varies from the start of LAYER:0 to the end of LAYER:499.  From what I see; all three files have the same Accel and Jerk numbers.  I don't see any problem with the gcode.

Stuttering like that can be caused because the printer-processor isn't kicking out the data fast enough, or it isn't being fed the data fast enough.  That is a problem if you happen to be printing via the USB port (but without something like OctoPrint).  Another problem can be the resolution that the model was sliced at.  The setting in the Mesh Fixes is "Maximum Resolution".  A higher number results in a slightly coarser print as the really short line segments are filtered out.

So tell us more about your setup.  What printer, and are you printing from the SD card?

First thanks for the reply.
    About communication, I have a Duet 2 Wifi (32 bits) using the card that is on the motherboard. I've had cases of this stuttering, but here the files are all on the same SD, under the same conditions, one hangs and the other doesn't. So I believe it's not the printer, but some cura configuration, because with 5.2.1 is running normally.
    Attached is the print of the "Mesh Fixes" of version 5.2.1 and 5.3.0

image.thumb.png.d5132859d46be85bbabe3c893d56d017.png

Posted (edited) · Version 5.3.0 introduces slowdown on perimeters

I randomly picked Layer:62 to look at.

The slices from 5.2 and 5.1 are alike as two peas in a pod.  The 5.3 slice is definitely different.

I have a macro to read Gcode files into AutoCad.  I added a filter for line length and what I see in the 5.3 file is that there are on average 48 extrusions on each layer that are less than .03mm long.  They are at an angle of about 45° to the lines that describe the circumference of the model.  It is as if they are making a small correction to get back to the shape of the model.  Each one is like a quick inside corner.  The density is greatest at 12, 3, 6, and 9 0'clock around your cylinder.  The screenshot below is up to layer 304 and there are 14830 short extrusions in there.

ShortLines.thumb.png.253d2319c7c6253d1b5ab3dee085b353.png

Running the 5.2 gcode through the same filter shows an average of "0" short lines on each layer.  It appears that the "Maximum Resolution" is either: not working, or is working differently/incorrectly in 5.3 than it did in previous versions.

@nallath do you have any thoughts on this?

@3DCloner  You could try running the Max Resulution up to 0.40 and see if it makes a difference.  

Edited by GregValiant

@nallath I did the test with "Max Resolution" at 0.40 and 1.00 and the behavior is the same. I noticed that she doesn't do that in Skirt, only in Perimeters. 

3STG4_CILINDRO TOP_5.3.0_max_res0.4.gcode3STG4_CILINDRO TOP_5.3.0_max_res1.0.gcode

Hey guys! Any more suggestions?

I don't have any trouble with the stuttering on my Ender with an 8 bit 1.1.5 board.  That might mean that it's just to dumb to notice.

If changing the Maximum Resolution didn't make any difference then that sure points to a possible bug.  Go back and slice it with 5.2.1 or even 4.13.1 (which I liked a lot).

The point is to get good quality prints.  If 5.3 isn't getting it done for you then grab another tool out of the box.

I understand, thank you for your attention, I am a printer manufacturer and I use the Ultimaker Cura as a slicer, hence the insistence on an answer, as my customers may end up having this problem too. If I manage to somehow solve it, I'll update the post for any need.

• Solution

Hello everybody! At first I managed to solve this problem by checking the "Print Thin Walls" option in version 5.3.0. Remembering that this option was unchecked in version 5.2.1 and earlier and did not present problems.

I relied on the following thread: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/14811#issuecomment-1523164974
    Below is the analysis of the gcodes on the website: https://www.gcodeanalyser.com/#

image.thumb.png.164a0f382d12ae72c7b795ab6eb3880f.png

image.thumb.png.1b9b10ec68230ae948a9db1ef3c138be.png

image.thumb.png.baae3670d6dc7bf95eca6b668cea4091.png