Problems printing colorFabb XF-CF20 on Ultimaker 3

rsior

Posted · Problems printing colorFabb XF-CF20 on Ultimaker 3

Hello, I am new to the 3D printing world. I have an Ultimaker 3 and have been trying to print colorFabb XF-CF20 on it and am having a lot of trouble. 

One of the problems I am having is that the filament is not sticking to the build plate. I have tried a combination of things, and nothing seems to work. 

When the filament doesn't stick it gets wrapped around the nozzle of the extruder and then everything goes downhill. 

It almost seems like the extruder is just too close to the build plate. I have played around with auto leveling but seem to have no luck.

I have been able to finish two prints and they both came out awful. But I also had to cancel 17 other prints because it wouldn't stick. 

If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to all of them. 

Thanks!

In general the closer to the bed, the better filament sticks.  If it gets so close that you can barely see the "trace" then it sticks a bit too well and you might break the glass getting it off.  Every filament is different in how well it sticks but more squish always means it will stick better.

You can verify this while it is printing the first layer.  Push up a bit on the bed if it's not sticking at all.

I don't know XF-CF20 - I assume CF20 means 20% carbon fill.  There are about 5 key things to get filament to stick.  One is to clean any oils off the glass (e.g. from fingers).  One is to add certain types of glue.  One is to get the right temperature.  I describe how to get the right temperature, why it matters, and other tricks in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58-WTxDy-k

• 2 weeks later...

I tried exactly what you said in your video, and I actually got two decent results. But now it seems like the filament isn't coming out. It'll go through the motions of the print, but nothing will extrude out. I tried pulling the build plate down to see if it was too close, but it didn't make a difference. The weird thing is that I can manually extrude the filament out so I know there's nothing stuck. 

Any suggestions at all are appreciated. 

Thanks!

The Ultimaker 3 does not support printing filled materials. Your nozzle will wear out very quickly (really, after 1 spool of XT-CF20 the nozzle diameter has grown to 0.6mm, and is has also shortened)

But while a print core can be replaced, even worse is the damage you do to the feeder. The feeder wheel will not be sharp anymore after 2-3 spools. This will cause underextrusion with all materials that you print with.