Old printer not reading SD files

NRKee

Posted · Old printer not reading SD files

Hi

I have an older printer dual head type bought about 8 years ago. I have installed the latest cura 5.3 version but the SD reader will not recognise any files.

is there anything I can do to revive this printer, after all, it worked perfectly for a few years.

Thanks in advance Joe

20230420_201222[1].jpg

Posted · Old printer not reading SD files

Some of these older printers will only read up to 32GB SD cards.  Is it possible you got a new SD card?  Do you still have the old SD card?  I'd try a 4GB card if you have one.

This looks like an old Makerbot Replicator which only takes gcode files in x3g format.  But it looks like a clone which I would then assume takes gcode but I'd try renaming a file to have the extension x3g just to see if the printer sees the files.

The contacts for the SD card can get hair/dust in them.  I'd try to vacuum it out with a vacuum cleaner for 2 seconds although it's possible that will create static electricity and destroy everything?  I've done it - vacuumed out my SD card - it didn't destroy the printer. But I did it in the summer when humidity was high.

Re-seat the 2 ribbon cables that I expect run to the board with the SD card reader (or maybe that was just an ultimaker thing - not sure).