Tabbed Settings plugin

ahoeben

Posted (edited) · Tabbed Settings plugin

To celebrate more than 5 million downloads of my plugins, I am working on another workflow plugin: Tabbed Settings.

image.thumb.png.46b39782901d9cb47a8ee9676d13c411.png

This plugin adds a vertical tab-bar to the custom settings list. Each settings-category has its own tab, and each tab shows all settings in that category. You can use the up- and down cursor keys to switch between tabs (after you have clicked on a tab). In this way the plugin adds an alternative to making all settings visible and having one long list to scroll through. Obviously, when the supports are turned off, it makes no sense to show support settings; this plugin does not change that.

There are two additional tabs. The first tab is almost exactly the same as the normal settings list, but it has been renamed to "Favorites". I encourage users to make an actual list of "favorite" or often-used settings for a quick overview (as the settings-list was originally intended, but that is another long discussion). These favorites use the same "visibility" profiles that Cura uses by default, and are compatible with the Setting Visibility Set Creator plugin. Start with the "Basic" set of favorites, and add other settings as you go.

The other "smart category" shows a list of settings that have been changed compared to the profile you have loaded. It is a handy view to check before you start a print. If you press the little "reset" icon next to the setting value, the value will reset and the setting will be removed from this "smart category". NB: different extruders can have different changed settings.

image.thumb.png.5f6b8af7e093370f95453525f7deaf82.png

The plugin can be used with or without the Sidebar GUI plugin (though of course it is my humble opinion they are best enjoyed together). Here it is without the Sidebar GUI plugin:

image.thumb.png.18e17061f0dbb415ef735acf2912471e.png

A test-version of the plugin can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-TabbedSettingsPlugin/releases/tag/v0.2.0-DEV

Download the .curapackage file and drop it onto the buildplate as if you were opening a 3d model. Then restart Cura as instructed.

Edit: the plugin is now available via the Marketplace.

In order for the Tabbed Settings plugin to work, it does quite a bit of "nasty" patching of the original interface. These patches may break the interface when the original interface is changed. So, as a security measure, the plugin checks to see if it has been "approved" for the version of Cura you are using it with.

An updated version of the plugin is usually created during the beta period, so when a new stable release of Cura is available, the plugin update is available in the Marketplace. Because updates to plugins need to be checked and approved by Ultimaker developers, there is always a bit of a delay. You can often find a prerelease version of the plugin on the github releases page for the plugin.

Edited by ahoeben
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited) · Tabbed Settings plugin

The plugin is now available via the Marketplace. Enjoy!

Edit: And for those that use the Cura 5.4 beta released today, here's a prerelease of the plugin for that verion too:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-TabbedSettingsPlugin/releases/tag/v1.0.1-DEV

Edited by ahoeben

• 1 month later...
    Posted · Tabbed Settings plugin
    8 minutes ago, redeyesxbl said:

Never mind, I see, you must use sidebar to get the profile drop down back. Was that intentional? 

I love the plugin, but I've had to uninstall it, the profile dropdown doesn't show up in Cura 5.4 release. Or did I miss a setting? 

45 minutes ago, redeyesxbl said:

Never mind, I see, you must use sidebar to get the profile drop down back. Was that intentional? 

That was certainly not intentional. I mean, I am convinced that the UX of Cura with the Sidebar GUI plugin is better, but the idea is that the Tabbed Settings plugin works independent of the Sidebar GUI plugin.

I will fix the Tabbed Settings plugin so it is also fully functional on Cura 5.4 without the Sidebar GUI plugin.

Ha, turns out there never was a profile selection dropdown unless the sidebar gui plugin was also installed, as evidenced by the screenshots in the opening post of this thread. Thanks again for catching this oversight @redeyesxbl!

A fixed version is available here: https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-TabbedSettingsPlugin/releases/tag/v1.0.2-DEV

Download the .curapackage file and drop it onto the Cura buildplate as if you were opening a 3d model. Barring any new bugs, I will push this to the Marketplace too ofcourse.

I assume this has to be updated for most individual versions, since I am trying it on 5.6.0 and it isn't working. At least for me, I never tried the plugin ever so I can't comment on any previous versions, I just learned of this plugin 30min ago and it simply won't load.

3 hours ago, MOCCOR said:

I assume this has to be updated for most individual versions,

Correct. For information about why this is, read this post:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-TabbedSettingsPlugin/issues/10

A version of the plugin that is compatible with Cura 5.6 has been awaiting approval from Cura devs for a couple of weeks now (they must be busy). A prerelease can be downloaded and installed manually here:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-TabbedSettingsPlugin/releases/tag/v1.0.4-DEV

Download the .curapackage and drop it onto the buildplate in Cura as if you were loading a 3d model.

The next version of the plugin that will be available in the Marketplace will show a different message than the "such and so plugin does not work, uninstall it!" message and will point to the releases page on github.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

A version of the plugin that is compatible with Cura 5.6 has been awaiting approval from Cura devs for a couple of weeks now (they must be busy).

It's almost like my asking the developers directly nicely for them to approve it ASAP fell on deaf ears. I did all I could for you.

• Like 1
    • Heart 1

We're just going to have to keep dropping subtle hints.

• Like 1

Oh I hope I didn't sound rude, I didn't intend to, I just wasn't aware if anyone else had tried it, I only just installed 5.6.0 very recently and learned of this plugin

I perceived no rudeness in your post. I hope you enjoy the plugin.

• Heart 1

How do I use this in Cura 5.6 - doesn't seem to work though both it and Sidebar GUi are installed?

Because of how they work, both the Sidebar GUI and the Tabbed Settings plugins need to be updated for every release of Cura, or they would break the interface. I submitted new versions of both plugins almost a month ago, but they still need to be approved by Ultimaker devs. I do not know what the holdup is.

You can download a prerelease of the updated plugin from github:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-TabbedSettingsPlugin/releases/tag/v1.0.4-DEV

Download the .curapackage, and drag and drop the file onto the viewport in Cura as if you were loading a 3d model. Restart Cura and you should have a functional TabbedSettings plugin.

On a tangent: here's the prerelease for Sidebar GUI:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-SidebarGUIPlugin/releases/tag/v4.6.4-DEV

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Because of how they work, both the Sidebar GUI and the Tabbed Settings plugins need to be updated for every release of Cura, or they would break the interface. I submitted new versions of both plugins almost a month ago, but they still need to be approved by Ultimaker devs. I do not know what the holdup is.

You can download a prerelease of the updated plugin from github:

Download the .curapackage, and drag and drop the file onto the viewport in Cura as if you were loading a 3d model. Restart Cura and you should have a functional TabbedSettings plugin.

On a tangent: here's the prerelease for Sidebar GUI:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-SidebarGUIPlugin/releases/tag/v4.6.4-DEV

It might be very helpful to you and others, to maybe add to the top of your post saying like "hey btw until Cura approves the marketplace updates, the plugin will give an error, get the latest version from the GitHub here (link)". People might not read through each users comments but I like to think they'd at least read the OP and save you some time

The update is now officially available via the Marketplace.

I have also edited the opening post with a note about version compatibility.

• Like 2