Need high resolution in g code for Staright lines

kelvin6k

Posted · Need high resolution in g code for Staright lines

Hi, I am trying to Slice a very big object compared to standard 3d printers which consist few 15 ft straight lines but Cura only slice 2 points for the straight line like the start and end I tried to increase the resolution but it increased only in curves, not in the straight line.

Why I am slicing a huge object?

I gonna process this g code for scara type robot so I need a g code for every 50 to 100 mm in straight lines 

Please help me with this.

You could (have someone) write a postprocessing script that checks the length of each G0/G1 move in a gcode, and if the length is more than 50 mm divide it up into multiple G0/G1 moves. However handling this in the controller (firmware) will give you much better results.

• Like 1

Hi thank you for the reply yeah I can do the thing you said and our robot takes angle as input and we use inverse kinematics formula to do it. So Cura can't do it in the settings? Am I right?

No, Cura is set up to use as few lines as possible. So cutting up a longer line into shorter parts is something that we try to avoid.

Not without changing the source code of Cura (or writing your own script that modifies the g-code, as suggested before)

can you help me to find the file that involves these things in the source code I am not a pro at coding

I think this would be easier in post-process than in the source code.  (That's "easier" in the relative sense.)

This might only need one setting and that would be the segment length you want the original line split into.

(Deep breath and...)

You know where the nozzle is.

You know where it's going.

If it's an extrusion you know the E.

Divvy up the hypotenuse of the triangle (15 feet is 4572mm) by your 50 or 100mm.  The integer portion is the number of increments and the remainder is the last move.  Use the integer to calculate the ratio of the incremental X and Y and E values.  (I don't see a need to know the angle but you could get it from the knowns.)

Put a replacement string together something like:

M83

G91

G1 (maybe F) Xincrement Yincrement Eincrement

G1 Xincrement Yincrement Eincrement

G1 Xincrement Yincrement Eincrement

etc., etc., etc.

G90

G1 original X and original Y and then the remaining E

G92 Eoriginal

M82 (if absolute extrusion M83 if relative extrusion)

Replace the original line with that mess.  G0 lines would be slightly different.

Repeat through your 3 million lines of Gcode.

15 feet at 50mm segments - each single Gcode line would be represented by 90 or so lines of Gcode.  Now the 3 million line gcode is up around 270 million lines.

I think it might work.  Possibly.  Maybe.

Your building is going to take a while to print.

(Some of this stuff makes my head hurt.)

• Like 2

GREG, I figured out a few things after days of work and I like your reply, our robot finish this thing in just 11mins approx. and I generated around 30k lines of code for this. and thank you, everyone, for your time.

• Like 2

I've always liked that Cura can be customized to fit different needs.  I'm an amateur hack and even at my low level of knowledge, things can be done to get what you want from the program.  Nice to hear that it has worked out for you as well.

• Like 1

NOW I need one more help I want to accelerate and decelerate at the start and end of a line can you help me with this too?

You would need to add F parameters to your segmented G0 and G1 lines.

G1 Xincrement Yincrement Eincrement F100

G1 Xincrement Yincrement Eincrement F150

G1 Xincrement Yincrement Eincrement F300

etc.

• Like 1

To:  All interested parties.

Today Cura Labs proudly unveils @ahoeben's invention of "Velocelleration".  The name is not yet carved in stone as Beaker is holding out for "Pseudoincrecellerocity".  We are currently trying to convince him to change his mind.  Please do not update your spell-checkers yet.

Thank you for reading this interesting notice.

Bunsen Honeydew, PHD, HMIC

image.jpeg.2a181d62f9c5cd2f15741cc947375902.jpeg

ahoeben , do I need to do it manually on the sliced g code? and how can I find the line that matches the corner?

I'm sorry, I thought you wrote postprocessing code already. If you already did that, then adding speeds to the lines would not be hard. I guess I misread your reply to Greg.