.3mf File drops in on left front edge

RonS

Posted · .3mf File drops in on left front edge

When I load a 3mf into Cura 5.2.2 the model drops on the left front edge. I know I can move it to wherever I want using the cursor but I was wondering if there is a setting to have it drop in the center.

28 May. 15 15.49.jpg

27 May. 15 15.46.png

Hi Dustin

I've turned that on and off to see if it helps, it didn't make a difference either way. I guess I took a snapshot of the screen while it was still on.

Is there something else I might turn on or off?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · .3mf File drops in on left front edge

Cura behaves different with placing a model  as a .STL or .3mf file. While a .STL file will be placed in the middle of the print plate, it will place a .3mf file related on the model coordinates and its center of origin in xy. This is what you are recognize when you import your model as 3mf. Here a example how Cura behaves with a simple model exported from Fusion360:

Model (out of center of origin at x=-15mm,y=20mm):

Modelxy.PNG.85128098d98846de743b9d476e4338c2.PNG

Imported as STL:

STLexport.thumb.PNG.d566c5efd739b41bf023d2583aaa9830.PNG

3mf import:

3mfexport.thumb.PNG.ac2968d98b2c387464c52da1359e2709.PNG

The mentioned machine setting for center of origin defines the center of origin how the printer interpret the coordinate system. This is for a rectangular bed usually at the front/left side at xy 0,0 (as you can see in my pictures above). For a round bed it is in the center of the bed at xy 0,0. For my bed center of origin is xy 0,0 while center in the middle looks like below.

bedatcenter.thumb.PNG.d048ba583413eea6f7f41ce64f7d427b.PNG

This do not change the behavior for importing a model and where the model is placed.

Edited by DivingDuck
    • Like 2

1 hour ago, DivingDuck said:

Cura behaves different with placing a model  as a .STL or .3mf file.

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying.

My model was centered in Fusion 360, but when placing a 3mf file it will land on the front left edge because that is the nature of the beast?

Thank you for taking the time for such an in-depth explanation