bitcoin ?

zappadoing

hello I just bought new filament and was wondering why the ultimaker-shop isn't ready to take bitcoins.

I was even more wondered why I couldn't find anything about that topic in the forum - so lets start here!

Their existing payment system has some problems and they haven't even had time to fix that. They are so overloaded with orders for Ultimaker 2's I think that there is not much time for anything else. They keep hiring more and more people and eventually when they get shipping down to 2 weeks (instead of around 10 weeks now) maybe they can look into this!

I think right now they are losing many more orders due to the long lead time than because of bitcoin. Most people would rather buy a crappy computer this week than wait almost 3 months for an excellent printer.

Bitcoin is not a stable currency where you can build on. Only reason some companies accept it is for marketing reasons. Only reason people use it as a currency is because you could buy drugs with them in an untraceable way.

Also, it's very unstable (drop of 40% in value in 2 months?)

It's done better than that Daid, in just 2 weeks between December 5th and December 19th last year it more than halved in value.

Bitcoin is an unstable currency unsupported by any national government, and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Just google on "bitcoin value graph". It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Bitcoin is not a stable currency

Not yet. So ideally you want to convert it to euros within an hour. But that's not easy to do.

Posted · bitcoin ?

well, read this: http://www.coindesk.com/fandistro-takes-bitcoin-indie-music/

this musicplatform converts its bitcoins dircetly into $, euros whatever - done by coinbase.

like that the store has not to bother about an unstable currency. (by the way, in long term average it was going up)

the good thing about bitcoin is, there is no middleman. no transaction fees and no chargebacks.

Posted · bitcoin ?

something else:

how about a donate button in cura?

my cat has no creditcard and would be the first to donate some btc for the great software like cura!

well, read this: http://www.coindesk.com/fandistro-takes-bitcoin-indie-music/

this musicplatform converts its bitcoins dircetly into $, euros whatever - done by coinbase.

like that the store has not to bother about an unstable currency. (by the way, in long term average it was going up)

the good thing about bitcoin is, there is no middleman. no transaction fees and no chargebacks.

When you are selling something truly immaterial (like music or SW licenses), your risks are limited. If everyone in the food chain is ready to take some risk, you can accept whatever peanuts for payment. If you are selling something which actually costs you something in some "hard" currency, it's quite risky to accept some virtual currency.

something else:

how about a donate button in cura?

my cat has no creditcard and would be the first to donate some btc for the great software like cura!

There is no button in Cura yet, or on the site.

But you could wire coins to 17Bxd6LKu3Rw1tAQ75brKMLcKRUhXfzzcq if you want. It's my cat's bitcoin address.

Can you buy catnip with bitcoins?

Posted · bitcoin ?

daid, my cat is first to donate some bitcoins - enough for a coffee and some catnip.

I've also setup the all important Dogecoin wallet. Such wow.

As well as a litecoin one.

https://github.com/daid/Cura/wiki/Donations

Because I could.

I'll buy my cat some extra straws (he loves those for playing around) as well as some extra cat-sweets! He ignores catnip :p so that's no use.