Ultimaker S3 specifications for printing with 0.25 Nozzle and PLA

Posted · Ultimaker S3 specifications for printing with 0.25 Nozzle and PLA

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to join to ask a few questions regarding the printing capabilities of the US3, I can't seem to find a constant and reliable information about them yet, probably someone here can corroborate them or at least part of them. BTW I'm using PLA, 0.25 mm. noozle, and a prefer to have a constant extrusion rate. 

• Build volume:             230 x 190 x 200 mm
  • XYZ Resolution:            6.9, 6.9, 2.5 micron
  • Layer resolution:        60 - 150 micron
  • Layer Height:            0.2 mm
  • Filament Diameter:        2.85mm
  • Nozzle Size:            0.25 mm
  • Extrusion Temperature:        210 to 220 °C
  • Nozzle heat-up time:        < 2 minutes
  • Build plate leveling:        Advanced active leveling
  • Print Technology:        FFF (Fused filament fabrication)
  • Printhead Speed:        30 to 60 mm/s
  • Extrusion Multiplier:        1.0
  • BuildPlate temperature:        60 °C
  • Build plate heat-up time:    < 4 minutes (from 20 to 60 °C)
  • Filament flow rate:        ??

What I'm trying to achieve is to play a little with the printhead speed to print denser or thinner lines, as much as the printer allows me to.

1) Do you already own an S3 or are you just looking at the spcs?

2) Can you explain why you want to change line width with speed (I'm not judging - I just need to understand your goals)?

I'm not sure if this is more a question about Cura settings or more about hardware.

• Like 1

Thank for the fast reply @gr5!!, 

1) I do not personally own one, but I work in a place that have them, and we are carrying out some projects as research & development of new types of "3D printing approaches".

2) I want to print 3D bodies with different densities specific areas or layers, to later test them and learn how they behave in different conditions of mechanical stress. I'm just in the planning phase, but I think having those parameters would help me understand the printer capabilities better and thus achieve the goal.

It seems the first 3 settings in cura you should probably look at and play with are:

infill density

wall thickness

top/bottom thickness (aka skin)

You can experiment with different values for "infill density".  And if you want to measure purely just the infill you can set wall thickness and top/bottom thickness to zero so you get *only* infill.