Gaps between lines

Korok51

Posted · Gaps between lines

I created a pendant with Fusion 360.   When I slice it in Cura it shows gaps between the lines.   These gaps also appear when I print it with my Ender 3 v2.  I haven't had this problem with other things that I've designed.    It needs to be smooth for casting.   How can I fix this?

pendant.jpg

Posted (edited) · Gaps between lines

The lines on the sliced part look normal to me, it just looks like gaps but I'm pretty sure that the lines touch each other almost everywhere. They do have gaps at some places, but you can see that it also fills in those gaps with smaller zig-zag lines.

If it has gaps when it prints it's likely that it's caused by under extrusion and you should be able to get rid of it by tweaking the printer settings. If it only happens on the first layer you might have to dial in your buildplate to be slightly closer to the nozzle, and if it's throughout the whole print it might be resolved by higher nozzle temp or slower print speed.

It's a bit hard sometimes to give a solution just by looking at an image, but if you provide a project file of the printjob it will be easier for someone to give better help.

Edited by 43915

From the looks of it it's simply because it's a small model, and the walls do some pretty sharp turns where it's hard for the nozzle to fill in the gaps. My best bet would be to lower line width from 0,4 to 0,35 (I usually go for 0,35 on all my prints) and perhaps lower the minimum wall line width to 0,2-0,25 and give that a go if you're on a version of Cura that has variable line width. The slice looks much better that way, so hopefully it would translate to the finished print as well.

If that doesn't do the trick I would just try raising the temp a bit and perhaps play with the flow to see if that helps.

• Like 1

I would be inclined to go even narrower.  A 0.2 nozzle with the wall ordering "Outside to Inside" and the Initial Layer Flow at 110% looked pretty good.

It's a small model.  Even Leonardo couldn't paint the Mona Lisa with a 100mm house brush.

• Like 1