Cura 5.4 toolpath issues in some layers.

V3DPrinting
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Cura 5.4 toolpath issues in some layers.

Hi to all

I have some strange behavior with Cura 5.4 when slicing a model : some tool paths are not correct.

Model has no flaws (being wrapped under Fusion 360 to be sure)

image.thumb.png.aa4f3a5920f009b5fa30df2bd565bb65.png

Model have some sub meshes due to custom supports created as a part + modifier.

Preview and printed parts exhibit some deviations from the 3D model in some layers

Capturedecran2023-07-11a10_44_05.thumb.png.e4547c45f225863f6aa5d5e2c1e52e18.pngCapturedecran2023-07-11a10_43_55.thumb.png.40935d70ed82124d63c27c4082f4663c.png

No way to get rid of these flaws, that are not present in the model.

Here's the project file

EW50_STL_Fixed.3mf

Slicing the same model with the same parameters (when applicable) under Cura 5.1.1 is fine. But Tree supports are huge and lower quality.

image.thumb.png.28b9d99688bdcce55502ea80989addba.png

Looks like a bug ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi again

I have also some slicing errors on another model. Mesh is also fine (STL has been created from Fusion 360 / Solid modeling and then rebuilt with Meshmixer to be sure there is no errors).

The model is a continuous extrusion of a profile in these areas, so it shouldn't have any shifting.

There is some sort of layer shifting, but in Cura. It happens with Cura 5.3 and 5.4.

image.thumb.png.42bfe50677d0dc0f4d98cf7c3ad5471f.png

Here's the project file

EW50_Support_Tablette_10_in_V3_Fixed.3mf

Thanks for your help

Best

• 2 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura 5.4 toolpath issues in some layers.

@ Ulitmaker Support Team

I am digging out that topic which hasn't been answered by the community as I have again the issue with different projects with Cura 5.4

I would emphasis on the fact that the meshes don't have any reported issues from Cura or Fusion360 or Meshmixer.

Fixing them (wrapping or rebuilding) does not change any of the results below.

Here's the first project file.

EW50_1-25x-behuizing. x4.3mf

Sliced with Cura 5.4, there are some tool path issues (same issue on each part)

Capturedecran2023-09-29a14_29_14.thumb.png.5e3788cde6b862f8d1661c489ee3bf00.pngCapturedecran2023-09-29a14_28_51.thumb.png.30f874d932e27abcc78931077a29a622.png

Same project sliced with Cura 5.3.1, no issues at all.

image.thumb.png.aa4b7d33046866d9bc78ca804c690737.png

Here's the second project file

EW50_2-25x-deksel-original.3mf

The tool path issues with Cura 5.4

Capturedecran2023-09-29a14_40_01.thumb.png.d4c337e702458e95a86e78dea0ca4c60.pngCapturedecran2023-09-29a14_39_47.thumb.png.19e11a692dcc7e3cb1bf2e7f3b7011fa.pngCapturedecran2023-09-29a14_39_14.thumb.png.4626d7e196c4f6e24079c292d6a4f772.png

And the correct slicing with Cura 5.3.1 ....

image.thumb.png.d4351f096a33a8f411a332064acd7cbd.png

This issue is critical as Cura 5.4 can no longer be trusted with some basic issues, though tree supports are a major advantage.

Can you please have an urgent look at this issue ?

Edited by V3DPrinting

• Solution
    13 hours ago, V3DPrinting said:

This issue is critical as Cura 5.4 can no longer be trusted with some basic issues, though tree supports are a major advantage.

Can you please have an urgent look at this issue ?

It's already well known that Cura 5.4 has some slicing bugs. I'm pretty sure it's near the top of their to-do list.

Sometimes the problem can be mitigated by going into the print settings, Mesh Fixes > Maximum Resolution. 0.5mm is a good place to start and if that doesn't work try going down in 0.1mm increments, but this workaround can't be relied upon to work.

6 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Sometimes the problem can be mitigated by going into the print settings, Mesh Fixes > Maximum Resolution. 0.5mm is a good place to start and if that doesn't work try going down in 0.1mm increments, but this workaround can't be relied upon to work.

@Slashee_the_Cow Thanks for the tip. I'll have a try on my current project.

As I'm running a business, for day to day work, I need to rely on a slicer which doesn't have these flaws.

I will have a look at the issue on Github.

@Slashee_the_Cow I saw that the issue is related to the bridge settings, and the trigger is the max resolution.

Thanks for the valuable tip.

Hi, I have similar issues with Cura 5.4 ... even worse in my case (check attached screenshots).

I`m using generic printer profile as I have customized mine (Sapphire SP-05), so is based on default settings.

.stl is also provided for a reference.

Anyone has ideas how I can reduce those issues?

Cura slicing artifacts 1.png

Cura slicing artifacts 2.png

Pepo coin.stl

25 minutes ago, vasilp said:

Anyone has ideas how I can reduce those issues?

Yes, as mentioned above: Lower the Maximum Resolution value in Cura.

• Like 1