ER41 "Motion Controller did not update" for fw version 8.2.0

alexnipper

Posted (edited) · ER41 "Motion Controller did not update" for fw version 8.2.0

I work at a University and we just opened a new lab with 18 brand new ultimaker S5's. We have ran a few prints on some of the machines but we then upgraded them to have the Air Management Systems on top of the printers. When we installed these we updated the printers firmware to the Stable 8.2.0 firmware and had no issues except with one printer. It has never ran a print in this lab and was hit with a ER41 error message saying the motion controller has not been updated.

The printer seemed to be in working condition before installing the AMS buckets on top. 

I have contacted support multiple times only to be sent the same link to recover the firmware. That solution has not resovled the issue and we still don't have a printer working. After the reboot of the recovery, we continue to get the same error message and cannot access any of the main screens options due to this error message. 

Has anyone had this similar issue and have you been able to resolve this? 

Could the Air Management System be interfering with the firmware update? It seemed to take to several other printers we have with them. 

Our prints is an S5, R2 edition and has the dongle piece connected on the bottom if that helps with any possible solutions.

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Edited by alexnipper

Posted · ER41 "Motion Controller did not update" for fw version 8.2.0

It looks like you are in USA so contact fbrc8 immediately.  support@fbrc8.com.  Include the serial number of the printer.  fbrc8 assembled your printer and they are experts and have great support.

In other words I recommend skipping over your reseller and going direct to fbrc8.

Meanwhile please tell me what you did regarding the firmware recovery - did you put an image on an SD card?  Did you use the proper image creation software?  (you can't just copy the image - you need to use a special tool of which there are many).  Did it show the update happening on the display?  The firmware recovery step seems like the best advice by far.  It will reflash the memory on both the unix computer (green) and the motion controller (largest board).

Your other question about AM.  yes, sometimes updates go better if you disconnect AM and also MS (material station).  But your update is already complete so it may not help.  It's okay (allowed) to connect and unconnect AM and MS (and then reboot) at any time in any pattern and sometimes doing this helps things.  But probably not in your case.

Be prepared to return the problem printer to your reseller if things aren't resolved.

19 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Meanwhile please tell me what you did regarding the firmware recovery - did you put an image on an SD card?  Did you use the proper image creation software?  (you can't just copy the image - you need to use a special tool of which there are many).  Did it show the update happening on the display?  The firmware recovery step seems like the best advice by far.  It will reflash the memory on both the unix computer (green) and the motion controller (largest board).

We followed the instructions for imaging the printer for recovery and used the creation software that was referenced by ultimaker. (win32diskimager) 

Firmware recovery: Ultimaker S3 and Ultimaker S5 (makerbot.com)

When that didn't work, our IT Services tried another imaging software (Rufus) and that also didn't work. 

It did show that the update was installing on the display and that it did finish the installation. It prompted a reboot, which we did, and continued to get the error 41 message. 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

@alexnipper can i please get your support case number? I will raise this with the support manager as well. 

Yes, here is the most recent case number I have. I have put in a few but I usually haven't gotten a response when I reply to the emails I get. 

11 minutes ago, alexnipper said:

It did show that the update was installing on the display and that it did finish the installation. It prompted a reboot, which we did, and continued to get the error 41 message. 

This information is gold to anyone doing support. This is probably some hardware that failed.  Electronics has a very high failure rate in the first few hours.

Thanks I will reach out to the Support Manager.

You should watch for a update on that support case in the next few hours. 

1 minute ago, gr5 said:

This information is gold to anyone doing support. This is probably some hardware that failed.  Electronics has a very high failure rate in the first few hours.

Good to hear, and hope this helps resolve the issue. 

A side note that may be of interest too, since our printer has the dongle setup on it, I contacted Ultimaker for further instructions of how to recover the firmware with that setup, per their instructions, and they gave us the image file for version 8.2, which was the only version it would attempt to reinstall. 

The website that details the instructions for recovering the firmware had the older firmware listed (v7.3.1), which is what was shipped on the printer if I am not mistaken. This version made no attempt to reinstall the firmware.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Thanks I will reach out to the Support Manager.

You should watch for a update on that support case in the next few hours. 

Great, thank you!

3 minutes ago, alexnipper said:

Good to hear, and hope this helps resolve the issue. 

A side note that may be of interest too, since our printer has the dongle setup on it, I contacted Ultimaker for further instructions of how to recover the firmware with that setup, per their instructions, and they gave us the image file for version 8.2, which was the only version it would attempt to reinstall. 

The website that details the instructions for recovering the firmware had the older firmware listed (v7.3.1), which is what was shipped on the printer if I am not mistaken. This version made no attempt to reinstall the firmware.

Dongle specific firmware was a thing Pre 8.2.x firmware release. 

Dongle should not matter anymore if working with latest firmware.