correlation between temperature, speed and extrution

approx

Posted · correlation between temperature, speed and extrution

Question:

Let's say I am printing just fine at 220 degrees C at 50mm/second..Now I want to print at a higher print speed - 150-200mm/s. Do I need to increase the temperature by a certain amount to keep up with the printing (i.e., melting of filament)?

Question:

Let's say I am printing just fine at 220 degrees C at 50mm/second..Now I want to print at a higher print speed - 150-200mm/s. Do I need to increase the temperature by a certain amount to keep up with the printing (i.e., melting of filament)?

I would go for 100mm/s first, same temp, and see if everything holds up... then maybe crank it up to 150mm/s... 200 is something for certain models, and well oiled and worn in UMs. if the filament starts slipping, lower the speed (via M220 S100 means 100%), and set the temp 3-5 deg higher (M104 Sxxx), wait a bit, and then continue the print at your target speed with M220 S300 (for 150mm/s relative to 50mm/s) I found live tuning based on a known good print setting the best thing to learn what your UM does. use the same method to actually lower the temp as far down as possible.

Thanks for your quick reply Joergen. Oh thats interesting that you mention 3-5 degs higher.. I increased the speed steadily to 400%...at about 250%, flow of melted filament decreased (it became spotty), so i was increasing temp 7-10degs at a time till i thought I had a steady flow at 245degrees and 400% speed.. At that point everything that could go wrong went wrong: bowden hot end jammed as heat reached the bowden quickly (I believe), filament began slipping, so i tightened the screw and that made the filament strip/deform, which resulted in the filament being clogged at the cold end; nozzle was oozing PLA from the side (between peek and nozzle)..with cuts to the bowden tube, it cannot reach the front left corner..:)

I ordered some pfa tubing from mcmasters today..

It seems to be an art :) But next time around, I will perform my tests in a more controlled manner..

My temperature measurements are spot on (not everyone's is), which means PLA is printable at 190C. If I crack up the temp to 200C I can print around 80mm/s, at 100mm/s it starts to show minor flaws with 200C. I've cranked it up all the way to 200mm/s, with 230C, but then I got into backlash problems, and infill not filled problems.