Best settings for maximize strengh in ABS

r4ix

Posted · Best settings for maximize strengh in ABS

Hi!

I'm trying to print a big box (185x185x110) and i would like to get it strong (it's for a portable amp) after a lot of dissapointments, frustations and so on i'm improving a bit step by step, i turn to ABS, hot bed, heat chamber (printing at 62 +-2 degrees) update the nozzle (0.7mm). But i'm not getting it, maybe what i want is not posible, i don't know. For a not too high parts (up to 20mm) even big ones i'm getting zero warping and nice finishing, but printing this box i'm getting nothing but head ache. (Few warping, but i can manage it, but some delamination

So, i'm wonder witch are theoretically best settings to get the stronger part possible.

I guess:

- big layers (i'm printing now at 0.25, i don't know how much could i print with 0.7 nozzle)

- slow (printing now at 40mm/s)

But what about temperature? It's better to print as cold as possible or hot?

I mean, is better print at 235ºC 40mm/s or 260ºC 40mm/s? colder means less shrinking but maybe hotter stick better with the previous layer...

Thanks.

I'm having the same problem. I can get it to stick with the use of gluestick. I think 235ºC isn't enough to get layers sticking though. Possibly using less fan might help, though it can get ugly if you have overhangs and bridges and top skins. Hopefully Joergen or calinb can chime in, they both have much experience with ABS but not sure about big ABS prints though.

I found my problem!!!

The termocouple in the hot end is reading between 15 and 20 degrees less. So i've been printing too cold all the time ( i thought i was printing too hot) So now is ok and strong enough.