Cura 5.4.0 - Storage of G-Code file not possible

Geckoas
Go to solution Solved by Geckoas,

Posted · Cura 5.4.0 - Storage of G-Code file not possible

I have a model of a watering can with 12 x M600 filament change scripts enabled.

After slizing the model, it is not possible to store the G-code, neither on  harddisk nor on removable drive.

The progress indicator stucks at the very beginning and the program titlebar shows no reponse. see enclosed project and screenshot.

Please help.

2023-08-26_13h42_07.png

CU_Kanne_filament_change_tbd_1d7h.3mf

Have you tried getting a cup of tea and a good book? I've found that some (what seem like pretty simple) prints can just appear to freeze Cura for 5-10+ minutes.

(Mandatory disclaimer: figure of speech. I don't drink tea. Or coffee.)

42 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Have you tried getting a cup of tea and a good book? I've found that some (what seem like pretty simple) prints can just appear to freeze Cura for 5-10+ minutes.

(Mandatory disclaimer: figure of speech. I don't drink tea. Or coffee.)

I killed the Programm as it didn't respond after more than 30 minutes several times.

13 minutes ago, Geckoas said:

I killed the Programm as it didn't respond after more than 30 minutes several times.

I've had much, MUCH less complicated things take at least 10 minutes, so you're not alone (I'm just comparatively the size of a hamster, at best). Two suggestions:

1: Save to an internal drive (preferably an SSD) instead of directly to a memory card or USB drive, then copy it to your card. Card readers can sometimes be a bit dodgy and go slow or seemingly disconnect then instantly reconnect or find other new, inventive ways to mess up like technology always does.

2: Try using an older version of Cura. 5.4 has a few problems (I haven't heard of this being one of them, but that doesn't mean it isn't), whereas for almost everyone Cura 5.3 is pretty reliable.

Hi @Geckoas,

Your file demand a good PC, -well did slice it so here it is, just with your original settings.

Btw. IMO, PETG is the right stuff for such a can..

Here's what it's look like, sliced with Cura 5.3.1.

AK_CU_Kanne.thumb.jpg.956ca71541968415286e61a1f369cbeb.jpg

OK, here is the gcode file zipped as the original file is 125 Mb!

AK_CU_Kanne_filament_change_tbd_1d7h.zip

Thanks

Torgeir

@Torgeir thank you for providing the G-Code file. 

Slicing was not the problem, but storing the G-Code file.

How long did it take to store the G-Code file on your PC?

Hi @Geckoas,

OK.,

Hmm, just a little over one minutes.. But quite long time for my PC so to say..

But this was a huge model, with a high number of triangles.

Torgeir

• Solution

Finally I got it working also on my PC , both with Cura 5.3.1 and Cura 5.4.0 with waiting for more than 30 minutes.

• Like 1